Epiphone Custom shop

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sleepingtiger, Jan 25, 2015.

1. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

Is it truly better than regular production, or have they simply gotten better across the board? I recently bought a 1964 Crestwood RI(Custom Shop) & the fit & finish was excellent...from the finish to the fretwork!
    I used to work at Cort USA & know for a fact the theirs was a separate entity & had some real craftsmen & artisans working there. That was before all Korean manufacturing had ceased.
    Anyway, just curious about your thoughts & experiences.

Tony

2. Mars Rover

Mars Rover Member

Any pics of that Crestwood? Nice. I think I want one.
    You’ll find that most opinions of the Epi’s “Limited edition” and “Custom Shop” are that they mean nothing. I don’t know. Maybe there’s a bit more attention to detail and better hardware so why not get the custom shop? I have one that is excellent is every way. I won’t be changing anything . Nice hardware (Grovers) and the electronics are high quality. Sounds great. Fret work is great. Nice set neck that feels great.

But this is one of a kind hence the serial number sticker.
    I pulled the sticker off and the printed serial number underneath the finish is partially obscured - and you can tell that this was done by the factory. I think it is a finish experiment that never made it to the market. They may have put a little extra effort into a prototype? Serial number research on both sets of numbers didn’t provide any clues.

The pics don’t really show it but the beige is a shade darker and the wood grain is visible and there are streaks of several colors (white, purple, gray). I recently realized that this finish almost matches the tile in one of my bathrooms, faux marble. Now wood grain doesn’t look anything like rock veins but if you squint your eyes……Maybe Epiphone was planning a “hard rock” line of guitars? Granite Countertop LP Junior anyone?:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I had an Epi "custom shop" Dot Deluxe. Same attention to detail as the regular, same price, different finish is all. No more limited than regular Dots IMO.

4. Custom50

Custom50 Member

They're just regular epiphones with different paint jobs. I have one and I like it so they can call em whatever they want as far as i'm concerned.

5. Trea

Trea Member

That sticker is from MIRC. It simply means that the guitar was damaged in some way then sold to MIRC who repaired and resold it. The original serial would have been removed as there would be no warranty on this guitar.

6. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

7. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Unless it's an Epiphone built by Gibson (like the one that looks like a Coronet with 2 pickups - I can't think of it's name) it's not really a custom shop model.

8. xXMeebleXx

xXMeebleXx Member

Might be slightly nicer, but I recent purchased a Emperor Swingster and the fit and finish was about what one would expect from Epiphone... so I wouldnt put too much stock into it.

9. sliberty

sliberty Member

Wilshire

10. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I don't think this is necessarily true. My Epi Les Paul Classic U.S. Goldtop has a few features you don't find on run-of-the-mill production Epiphone Les Pauls... The long neck tenon and the 50s carve neck are the two most significant elements of the build that differ from typical Epi Les Pauls. The SD AlNiCo Pro IIs, full-size Alpha pots and Switchcraft pickup selector are a pretty nice "Custom Shop" additions as well... It may change from run to run, but some of the Epi Custom Shop instruments do have a little something extra, I think... It doesn't mean they're hand-carved by 3rd generation luthiers in the heart of a rarewood forest, but the label can mean something more than standard production models offer...

11. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I believe the Elitist guitars are made in Japan while the rest are made in China.

12. Yogi_Sizzle

Yogi_Sizzle Member

well the Elitist models are completely different than the regular production Epis as they are made in Japan and are definitely better constructed guitars in my experience. As for the whole "custom shop label" on MIC guitars it varies as to what that means. Most are merely a limited edition color, pickup configuration or model. For instance the MIK or MIC riveria they released a few years back was a custom shop model. It used regular episode electronics. Then there are plenty of upgraded epiphanies that aren't custom shop models. Like my 62 Sheraton came with Gibson electronics and pickups but it isn't a custom shop model. So with that said I wouldnt pay an up charge for a custom shop labeled episode unless it happens to have the higher specs as well.