epiphone dot 335

lefty kwan

I stopped in at the music store to pick up some strings today. I played a few lefties before I spied this lefty cherry red Epi Dot. I played it for a bit unplugged and noticed it had a pretty nice ring to it. So I decided to plug it into a blues deluxe that was sitting there. For $445 (Can) I wasn't expecting much but I was surprised. I ended up playing for quite a while. All pickup positions sounded great and it sustained sweetly. It left me scratching my head and trying to justify another guitar in my collection.

chrisross

I just sold mine after owning it for about 5 guitars. It was my first real guitar, and I've loved it for that reason, but as of recently needed money. In my experience, it's a nice guitar but the pickups are pretty awful. I'd look at the WildCat if they still make it, it's a pretty groovy lookin semi hollowbody.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Dot pups are ok but there is ample room for improvement.
The cutaways on Dots are not as generous as 335's.
This may be a problem depending on your hand size and technique.

lefty kwan

This particuliar Epi Dot had a really nice tone/sounding pickups, the neck had rather large D shape which took a few minutes to get use to, but the tone was definately there. I didn't even have to dial in the amp, just turn down the reverb some. I might have to go back again.

MrMedley

I think for the money, the the dot is a good deal. IMO, the sheraton just added inlays and cosmetic upgrades which I would pass on. If you don;t mind the stock pickups, I feel like it's a good alternative to the Gibson 335, which by the way is all laminate woods anyway. However, Eastman makes an all solid wood 335 ish model which can be found used in the $800 dollar range. Just FYI...

Trending Topics