Epiphone Dot - changes between recent years

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by metropolis_4, May 3, 2015.

1. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

So I was in a GC on my lunch break Friday and there were two cherry Epiphone Dot's. One appeared to be a 2013 and the other 2014. The 2013 appeared to have a maple center block, and sounded brighter, and much more open. The 2014 appeared to have a mahogany block, was much darker acoustically (more than just the center block could account for), and sounded deeper and more mellow. The 2014 felt a good couple pounds heavier as well.

Anyone know more about what changes have been done over the years? Or is it just that there is a lot of variation between the different examples of the model?

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I think they are all maple center blocks. The difference could be variance in the pot values. The components of the harness is probably the more tone affecting cost cutting characteristic. So +/-20% tolerance could be a big difference. Pickup heights. Stock string age.
    I had a 2010 DOT and now have a 2014. Not at the same time. Not a ton of variance overall, but the neck on the newer is a little more comfortable, pots seem a little cheaper, finish is a little better on the newer.

3. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Oh yeah, you reminded me of another big thing I noticed. The neck on the 2014 was about half the girth of the 2013. It felt really skinny to me.

What surprised me most was the difference in the unplugged acoustic tone. The 2013 was way way brighter sounding. Could have been strings too, I have no idea what was on there or how old they were.

4. Crossroads

Crossroads Member

I believe they upgraded the pickups in the last couple years.

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I don't know which is which but even the size of the body has varied.