Epiphone Elitist LP clearance sale

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GuitslingerTim, Nov 19, 2005.

1. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

If you're looking for a quality Les Paul at an affordable price, check out the Epiphone Elitist LP sale going on at Musician's Friend. There are four flavors, they come with a hardshell case, built at the Fujigen factory in Japan, the same builder used for the highend Ibanez models. The list price is $1614, the sale price is $699. I ordered a honeyburst last night.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=clearance/search/detail/base_pid/518405/

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

That seems like a great deal. They probably sound awesome. Have any indication of the weight? Do you know if they have the deep neck tenon like Historic and Custom LPs?

3. axpro

axpro Member

I've actually really liked these Elite LP's, I always thought gibson priced thema little high, but a clearance sale might be just what they need to get a foothold with people, 100% better than stock epiphones, and actually better thans ome gibsons!

Dave Mc

4. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

My elitist is my favourite guitar. But I have a Suhr coming so we will see.

5. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Like most guitars the weight will vary, but reports have the Elitist LP weighing in at 8.5-9 lbs.

I've seen a picture of the neck tenon connection on an Elite model that dates to 2002, it extends about halfway into the neck pickup cavity. The Elitist is probably the same.

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Cool. Post with impressions when you get it. For that price, I'd go one too. Know what he neck profile is like?

7. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I've heard the profiles vary, but one buyer described the back profile as larger than a 60's slim taper, but smaller than the 50's profile, which is perfect for me. I should get it sometime next week hopefully.

8. Timmo

Timmo Member

I have played the Elitist Les Paul by Epiphone and liked it well enough but after playing the USA made Gibson Les Paul MF is selling for only $150 more it is no contest.
    This model is way over the Elitist AND it actually SAYS Gibson!!!
    :eek:

9. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

The Gibson LP you're referring to is the Vintage Mahogany model, which in reality is a Les Paul Studio without the maple top and without binding or an elaborate finish, which makes it the very least of the USA models. Considering that both models are made of African mahogany, and the Elitist has the aforementioned features that are absent from the VM model, in what ways do you think the VM is *way over* the Elitist model?

As far as construction is concerned, we've all heard the stories about the poor quality control at the Gibson factory, while the build quality of the guitars coming from Fuji-Gen is recognized for its excellence. Fuji-Gen has made most of the high-end Ibanez guitars, including those made in the 1970's-80's, and the recent prestige models.

I considered buying a VM, but frankly, the reviews I've read on it were mixed. Most people seemed thrilled to simply own a Gibson due to having never owned one, while the critical reviews mention tuning problems, poor setups, finish flaws, and a pickup falling out of one of them. One reoccurring issue that I've seen with many models of USA pauls is poor fret work--I'm assuming the fretwork on a budget model will be marginal at best.

Based on the evidence, you're willing to make a purchase based soley on brand name as opposed to making a choice based on comparitive features, a criteria that shows the VM model to come up short. The funny thing about it is, you'e attitude is quite typical, and the likely reason why MF is clearing out the Elitist standards, because people will buy a bare bones Gibson before they will buy a high quality Epiphone for $200 more. All I can say in response is Thanks. :D

10. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

I may just have to go for one of these bad boys.

Interesting note about the the long neck tenon.
    Does anyone know of these are 1 piece or multi piece backs?

11. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

This is just my opinion, but:

I've played the Mahogany Studios and have never seen a fret problem, tuning problem, etc. The ones I have tried were outstanding. In fact, they smoked most of the stores Gibby inventory. I have also played the Epis. All were heavy, had thin necks and the pickups sounded poor.

Then there's resale.

Yes there is a reason they are getting blown out.

12. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

Mine is a one piece

13. Timmo

Timmo Member

I speak from a VERY recent experience of which I just wrote about here last week so feel free to read my posting on the MF USA made Gibson Les Paul for $849.99.
    My observations were and still are that this USA made Gibson "is way over the Elitist". The Elitist had a lousy neck profile and just plain lousy sounding pickups. You want me to go on?
    This is "based on evidence". The best kind of evidence. MY OWN!
    My own experience with these two models as I have had BOTH in my hands is quite different from what you are describing so I question your "evidence" as mine is the exact opposite.
    The fretwork was dang near perfect and the setup flawless on the VM.
    Sorry but if given the option of buying a nice Les Paul that actually SAYS Gibson or a nice Les Paul that SAYS Epiphone for close to the same money, well, I guess you know where I'm going. As well as 90% of the guys here......... :D
    All I can say is..........no, Thank YOU!
    :)

14. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

I guess some are good and some aren't. But for one thing mine is awesome!

15. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

That's good to hear since you actually have it in your hands and play it. When people form opinions based on what they read on the 'net, things get dodgy.

16. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

Its a bit like the CJOD they go for $800ish but hardly anyone has played one. About the epiphone I would say the original pickups were a bunch of crap, I replaced them with WCR DB's which do the job nicely.

17. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

I just happened to re-read the Guitar Player review of these. Their LP was 10.5 lbs! Is that average?

18. grinder965

grinder965 Member

Well I'll find out soon enough just how good (or not) the Epiphone Elitist Standard LP is. I like thin to medium necks so I ordered one this morning in the Washed Cherry finish. Total price (including hardshell case & shipping) after instant rebate $655.

19. Wally1

Wally1 Member

Regardless of the Epiphone vs. Gibson issue these sound like a really good deal for the $. I'm a Les Paul fan and I've owned tons of LP's over the years. Considering how much Gibson is charging for new LP's this seems like a smokin' deal after I looked at all the specs of the guitar. I might just pick one of these up for a beater! Cant wait till some of you get yours and post some reviews!

20. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Mine shipped today, so I should have an answer for you by the end of the week.