Epiphone Elitist LP Standard or Gibson SG Standard?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mr. Crow, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

I have a chance to pick up a mint condition Epiphone LP Elitist Standard or a mint condition Gibson SG Standard.

The Epiphone Elitist is from around 2005 and costs $800. Gibson SG Standard is from 2007 and is $850. Both are mint condition.

Any thoughts on my choice? I do prefer a 50's neck, but it's not a total deal-breaker as long as the neck isn't a pencil. I know the SG has a beefier neck, not sure about the Elitist.

Looking for a more 70's rock sound. Kind of leaning towards the Elitist because I've been wanting a LP, tried a few LP Studios, but have been pretty underwhelmed with the Studios I've tried.

The guitars are right in my financial ballpark. Unfortunately, the Epiphone Elitist is an on-line purchase so I can't try it first.

Any thoughts?

2. sliberty

sliberty Member

Both will likely be very nice guitars. SG's and LP's are somewhat different despite the similarities. But, given the fact that you can play one, and not the other, I'd go with the Gibby. I hate the concept of buying a guitar unplayed. I need to have an emotional reaction when I buy an instrument, and the only emotions I feel when buying over the web is fear :) You can't go wrong with either, unless the Epi turns out to be a dud, or just not to your liking.

3. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

The Elitist LPs are great guitars. The neck will be a 59 style neck - not clubby like some of the "50's" necks out there but not thin.

I have owned about a dozen of these, and they are consistently great guitars.

The SG will be nice if you want an SG. That's the real issue for me.

4. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

Thanks for the opinions. Glad to hear the Elitist neck is '59' style, I believe that means not too thin which is great.

I'm leaning Elitist, because I guess my first desire is a LP. I'm surprised at how underwhelmed I was with the many Studios I played, and I've read nothing but raves about the Elitist models.

5. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

not trying to be the "neck police" here but those Elitists most definately had 59 style necks and 60 style very slim necks. I have owned both, I would verify before buying.

plexi

6. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

The Elitist has an Abr-1, right?

7. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

Will do, thanks.

8. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

Contacted the seller of the Elitist, he said it's definitely a very slim '60s' model. Thanks plexirocker 68, saved me some heartache.

9. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

10. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I've played several elitist LPs, own a 2005 SG Standard. The standard neck in those years tended to be beefy. Not so with the elitists. Not too skinny on the ones I tried, but if you want a more substantial neck, you'll probably be much happier with the SG. Neck aside, the elitist LP is a great guitar. Both of them are, in somewhat different ways.
    MD

11. plaintopper

plaintopper Member

I have owned one Elitist LP and played several others. The necks were very consistent 'tweener size. They are not 60s slim tapers. But they are smaller than most R9 or LP Trad type necks. It is a comfortable, mid size neck. The closest thing to them in the Gibson lineup is the 30-60 neck -- which is 60's plus .30 of chunk all they way up. I measured mine, and i believe it was .85 at the first and .94 at the 12th with a little bit of shoulder.

12. bettset

bettset Member

same here. the lp's i've had had the abr bridge and tune-o-matic. replaced a couple with the gotoh's. other than that very nice guitars. don't let the finish bother you. good quality built :munch

13. Franktone

Franktone Member

Take the Gibson SG standard. I played a used in a local store about 6 years ago and couldn't believe how good it sounded and felt. The finish is excellent also. It felt like the best Gibson guitars from the early sixties. The whole thing vibrated and you could feel it. Maybe you may want to swap out the pickups for something better at some time. The Epiphone is known to be quite a good guitar (I haven't played an Elitist), but the nitro finish and neck shape on the SG standard takes the cake for the money.