Epiphone Elitist LP vs. Edwards LP??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by IcedEarth, Jan 27, 2008.

Epi Elitist or Edwards?

1. Epi

2. Edwards

3. Toss-up

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. IcedEarth

IcedEarth Member

Looking for a quality Les Paul, without the Gibson price tag.
    I'm torn between the 2.

Epiphone - may have to change pick-ups, yet easier to obtain.

Edwards - Comes with SD JB/'59 combo I love so much, but may have to order from Japan.

What's the better deal/guitar, and why?

2. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

i have hear nothing but good about the Epis...a friend has one and it is quite nice, stock.

3. rastus

rastus Member

Both these are such good guitars for the money that you won't go wrong either way. I have played examples of both and they are great values. The Epi elitests I have played have USA pickups, but the advantage of the Edwards having the p/u you want may offset shipping. Also consider a Tokai, Greco, Orville, or Burney. I have seen several on here used from well known members at great prices. Saves shipping and you'll know what you are getting in advance. Go with your TGP bros-that is my advice!

4. IcedEarth

IcedEarth Member

Looking, for sure.
    I've had some great transactions on here, from buying my Marshall 2205, to selling a Splawn Quick Rod, and Framus cab.

5. rastus

rastus Member

Yeah, I have gotten spoiled, it's like dealing with a buddy, and as focused on gear as guys are here, everyone I have dealt with can really tell you the ins and outs of the gear they are selling. Keep on it and you'll find one. I've had great transactions here also. Made some cool friends too. I'm really looking forward to meeting some of the local guys in Nashville that post here, really cool people.

6. whitenoise

whitenoise Member

i would go with the edwards, well, i did go with the edwards. i got mine used from here and i am happy with it.

i think someone is selling a Ewards LP custom (black finish) for sale here right now.

7. digital jams

digital jams Member

Long tenon Edwards with SD pups.....no contest.

Long tenon = more string energy transfer

8. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

Dear Edwards fanboys: plz know what you're talking about before flooding this thread. The Elitist has the same long tenon.

Both great guitars, and it would be silly to suggest either has a clear advantage. The Elitist pups definitely don't require changing unless you know there's a combo you prefer. I prefer the accurate top carve of the Elitist. The biggest upside with Edwards is the wide variety of finishes and combinations available.

9. IcedEarth

IcedEarth Member

Watching this one on Ebay:
    [​IMG]

10. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

One difference - the standard Elitists are said to have a '60s slim-taper neck, where Edwards are said to have chunkier necks depending on the model.

11. mrgoldtop

mrgoldtop Member

I dont have an Edwards, but have owned 2 Elite Epiphones. Both were awesome guitars. Sold the first to get the 2nd with the desired color.

The Epiphones have nice thick caps, long tenons, and the correct top carve. My Elite is my #2 guitar, although I occassionaly use it at gigs for a change of pace. it gets played quite a bit.

No need for the Edwards owners to bash the Epiphones. They are indeed fine instruments. The stock pickups in the Elites are fine, and are definately upgrades from the stock run of the mill Epi pickups.

I dont consider that a real factor. People change pickups in guitars like underwear. I have a honeyburst flametop.

If you can try a Edwards local and an Epip Elite local do so, then make your choice. With the edwards, you do have more models to choose from.

Enjoy what ever you get!

-mrgoldtop

12. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

There were many comparisons of the Elitist LP standard plaintops during the lemming rush that ensued when they were discontinued and put on sale. The necks seem to vary by quite a bit in size; some were described as slim taper, others as a rounded '59 profile, and others as very large. The neck on mine is a whopper, measuring 1.2" thick at the 12th fret.

13. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Pros Edwards: SD pups, 1 pce bodies, nicer headstock shape, cheaper new.
    Cons Edwards: veneer flame (still on solid maple cap), no case, overseas shipping.

Pros Elitist: Solid flame cap, case, reportadly more accurate top carve, available new locally
    Cons Elitist: 2 piece back, more expensive new, non LP headstock, pickups could be less desirable

I wouldn't be bothered by a 2 piece back as 2 good pieces of mahogany are better than one average piece.
    Same with flame veneer at leat tone wise.
    I'd say they are dead even.

14. digital jams

digital jams Member

I do not own a Edwards Gibson fanboi :nono

I play Hamers.

15. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

There aren't enough eyeroll smileys for this.

16. digital jams

digital jams Member

Good as I have yet to find a man that does that eyeball thingie :rotflmao

17. 83stratman

83stratman Member

I have owned both an Edwards LP std. gold top and a Elitist LP Std. Plus. IMO, the Elitist is a much nicer built and higher quality guitar than the Edwards I had. I sold the Edwards and have no desire to own another. IMO, to get nicer than the Elitist, you need to step up to a Historic. To get nicer than the Edwards I had, you need only look to standard Gibson USA.

18. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

Can't say I agree with you there - my Edwards E-LP-105 is way better than any current production standard Gibby's that I have come across. I have about a grand invested in it now with a new bridge pickup, aluminum tailpiece and Sozo caps and I can honestly say that it's one of the best guitars I have ever owned - just a joy to play.

But I guess we all look for different things in guitars. :)

- Chris

19. Redrum

Redrum Member

Regardless of whether you prefer an Elitist or Edwards, your on the right track. Both of these Lester copies are smokin' guitars, especially for the money.

I mean, it would be nice to sell the farm and get a Gibbo Historic 58' or 59', but you could grab a new Elitist or Edwards and have enough money left over to buy a really nice amp to go along with your new guitar.

Then you can spend your "Economic Stimulus Package" check on a really nice guitar cord :rotflmao

20. IcedEarth

IcedEarth Member

That's the plan. I had to sell off my gear back in the summer, for legal reasons. I'm looking for a Peavey Classic 30 as well. :cool: