Epiphone Japan (Orville) not Epi Elitist. Are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lukeness, Apr 14, 2008.

1. lukeness

lukeness Member

I'm debating on buying a used Epiphone Japan LP Standard for about $800... This is the Epiphone brand that was previously known as Orville. The guitar was meant for the Japanese market only, so it has the correct Gibson headstock.

I am not in any way talking about the Epiphones that were meant to be sold in the US. Those do not have the correct Gibson headstock.

What I want to know is... is it worth the scratch? I'm really jonsing for a Les Paul...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I think you could do a lot worse for $800.00. That's a beautiful guitar and has the correct headstock... nice.

3. ?&!

?&! Member

I have an Orville '61 reissue SG, and it's the best guitar I've got. $800 seems pretty fair on that bad boy. Good luck!!!

4. changeling

changeling Member

i have 2 and i love 'em both.
    you could do a hell of a lot worse..i really don't see a downside.
    r

5. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I've never played one, but a guy i occasionally talk to online has one and he loves it, if that helps at all. The epiphone japan guitars are alot like the orvilles as far as i know, and they are fantastic guitars, i'd say that's probably alot of guitar for 800 dollars.

6. hank

hank Member

I own half a dozen MIJ's. This one is worth having. Good luck. :AOK

7. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Love that plain top burst!

8. lukeness

lukeness Member

Thanks for the responses guys. The guitar is definitely beautiful from the pics.... the only thing that is bugging me is that there are no angled shots of the guitar. So I can't really tell how deep the carve is on the body. I don't really like the soft carve that the 70s LPs had. I prefer the heavier carve on the LPs that Gibson is putting out now. I emailed the seller, but so far no response.

I once owned an Orville LP Custom and I really liked it... but it was heavy as heck and I cracked the neck, so I repaired it and sold it. If these Epiphone Japan guitars are as good as the Orville I had, I'd be but...

What's holding me back was what you guys just answered and the carve.... I need the deep carve......

9. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

I've got a couple of MIJ Epi's and I pulled out the Standard and compared the carve against my Orville. It seems to be the same. I then compared it against my Gibby classic and Tokai and it seems to be the same. At the edge of the body by the binding it almost seems to curl up. It has the long tenon if you care about such things. I would not hesitate for a second to buy it at that price. Lots of guitar for the money IMO.

10. lukeness

lukeness Member

Thanks for the comparison. After doing more research, a new topic has arisen... I read that there could be US Customs or duty fees applied to the guitar since its coming from Switzerland to the USA... is this true?

11. hank

hank Member

Yes, it is possible that they'd do a Customs charge. They don't do it all the time by any means. It's hit or miss. Make sure the declared value is not higher than you paid. If the Customs charge is, say $75, that's just the cost of doing business to me and offsets sales taxes here. If you own the guitar a long time it is a small price to pay, imo.

12. johan

johan Member

Most eBay sellers from Japan says "no import tax to US". I know I have to pay import tax from Japan to EU and it should be the same in the States. Still, check with some Japanese sellers.

I'm sure it's a great guitar for the money. MIJ guitars usually have the corrects specs. Is it new or used? I know Epiphone still makes some vintage correct Gibson models in Japan.

13. lukeness

lukeness Member

The guitar is used and is coming from Switzerland. The Orville I bought from Japan a while ago didn't get taxed or anything... but what was when they were selling for a lot less. I really don't mind thinking about the $75 or whatever as regular tax... its just that it's gonna be $75+$130 or something for shipping. That kinda makes it unjustifiable to me I guess. A shame, cos the guitar looks really cool.

14. diamonddavewv

diamonddavewv Member

Did he ever get back to you? I emailed him about the same or similar guitar a couple months ago about the neck size on these guitars, but he never responded to me, either.

It sure is pretty, though.

15. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

You may be able to get the same guitar new from Japan for less. IDK.

16. lukeness

lukeness Member

Any links to point me in the right direction? I tried Katana guitars and Guitar Gai, but they don't really have what I want.

17. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member