Epiphone Jerry Cantrell troubles. 850 dollar guitar. Not my video.

Yamaha 350

I found a video. I was not looking for it either. I was sort of taken back buy it. He paid 850 dollars for it and called it a turd. He is sending it back and loosing his rewards points. He said the frets are cheap and junk. He is unhappy.

So dose Epiphone frets suck that bad, is his complaint valid or did he get a bad one ? He said they were worse than a cheap low end Squire. Is he right? And has other people had the same issue with this new model Epiphone put out?

Is current Epiphone all that bad? No I do not own any currently made Epiphones. I'm asking because on a 850 dollar guitar I would expect better. And did he get a bad one or does epiphone really have issues? Or was his expiations to high?

Last edited:

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know about the Jerry Cantrell models, but I've never played an Epiphone I would consider to be a "great" guitar. I've owned a few that were decent to good. Not sure I've ever played a great Squier either though, although I have played a few that were pretty cool.

I can't tell you how many times I went to the store with a little money burning a hole in my pocket and ready to bring home an Epiphone 335 or 339 or something and just left with a pack of strings.

Yamaha 350

People expecting Gibson custom shop quality from these upper end Epiphones will be sorely disappointed.
I agree. He said it was really bad. In the video he said he bout a fake Gibson and the Epiphone was as bad as that guitar. So either he got a bad one or Epiphone is having issues?

sunking101

I found a video. I was not looking for it either. I was sort of taken back buy it. He paid 850 dollars for it and called it a turd. He is sending it back and loosing his rewards points. He said the frets are cheap and junk. He is unhappy.

So dose Epiphone frets suck that bad, is his complaint valid or did he get a bad one ? He said they were worse than a cheap low end Squire. Is he right? And has other people had the same issue with this new model Epiphone put out?

Is current Epiphone all that bad? No I do not own any currently made Epiphones. I'm asking because on a 850 dollar guitar I would expect better. And did he get a bad one or does epiphone really have issues? Or was his expiations to high?

This guy doesn't kmow what he's talking about. So it needs a fret polish??

HTSMetal

Based on the things he's saying, many of the "problems" he's describing (bad factory strings, fret "spur", rough frets) are not reasons to return a guitar, at least in my personal opinion.

Sharp fret ends are pretty common and can happen on a guitar of any price point.

Rough crowns usually go away in no time with regular playing and if not, just take some very fine grit sandpaper or even better, a Dremel with polishing wheel to them and 10 minutes later they should feel amazing.

And finally, who keeps factory strings on a guitar anyway?

I'm not saying he didn't get a crappy guitar, but based on his stated problems it sounds like he's fairly inexperienced.

sunking101

Based on the things he's saying, many of the "problems" he's describing (bad factory strings, fret "spur", rough frets) are not reasons to return a guitar, at least in my personal opinion.

Sharp fret ends are pretty common and can happen on a guitar of any price point.

Rough crowns usually go away in no time with regular playing and if not, just take some very fine grit sandpaper or even better, a Dremel with polishing wheel to them and 10 minutes later they should feel amazing.

And finally, who keeps factory strings on a guitar anyway?
My R8 needed a fret level. Shocking at that price point but an Epiphone needing fretwork out of the box is not shocking in the least.

twoheadedboy

People expecting Gibson custom shop quality from these upper end Epiphones will be sorely disappointed.

One of my favorite TGP thread topics is someone buying a cheap Epiphone or Squier and posting a 1000 word review in which they describe every tiny physical detail of the guitar and pick apart every minute flaw. Normally, it's all written with a sense of gravitas befitting a $50,000 custom PRS. These are cheap guitars. They're not made to withstand close scrutiny.

If it's fun for you to write these reviews, I won't stand in your way, but you're probably spending more time writing your review than the factory spent building the guitar.

seward

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a new Epiphone customer. I've owned a few Gibson Studios and SGs, and I'm really impressed by how good the Epiphone 59 LP Standard and LP Special are. Plain old "can't put them down" good, playing through hand-wired 5w-15w amplifiers. I'm hoping that Epiphone has other guitars as good, and inexpensive, as these.

And further more, the Epi Jerry Cantrell LP has a "98T" humbucker pickup, which appears to be a new pickup from Epiphone, and which is apparently (per an email from Epiphone to an inquiry from an owner, seen on another forum) very very close to Gibson's 498, which is one of my favorite Gibson pickups, and one of the reasons that I keep buying Studios.

So my Epiphone experience has been different from the video-maker's, and I hope that he got a lemon, because I'd like to get another Epiphone, and the Cantrell LP is of interest to me.

the29band

I have an Epiphone LP Custom and a Gibson 2001 LP Standard. They both are equally good. Infact, given the Epi is lighter, sometimes I just reach for that for that reason but I have never felt the price difference between those guitars.

54GT

Gold Supporting Member
Trying to reconcile this review and thread with all of the glowing Epi reviews of the past few months, generally about the great quality of the newer Epi 335 types. Are they made in different factories? Or is this just the usual diversity of TGP opinions

PB26

Only Epiphone I've ever played is the most recent version of the Iommi model. Everything about the fit and finish was great (would be nice if Gibsons were as good) -- except the frets. I swear I could see nickel shavings on the fretboard on bends. It was comical. They truly put the cheapest junk on there.

Yamaha 350

I would spend $1000 and get a nice LTD EC-1000 if I wanted a Les Paul copy, the frets are going to be much better, as well as everything else.
I agree. The Girl on Fender Play way before she worked for Fender let me know of them. I looked them yeas ago and they are cheap used. I loved them ever since.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom