Epiphone Joe Pass Jazz Guitar...........any good ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BryanMatthews, Jun 26, 2008.

1. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

I know a bloke who owns a Gibson L5 jazzer that completely blows my mind , but the cost of those is just prohibitive:jo, I found some clips of the Epiphone Joe Pass semi hollow jazz guitar that sounded pretty nice to me. Anybody tried / own one and can offer any opinions ?

Bryan

2. HammyD

HammyD Member

3. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

Its very far from an L5 and is a laminated guitar not a solid top ( that I know of ) .
    I ve had quite a few of em at the workshop for repairs and set ups and they were great for the price. Well build and good sounding guitars, the pup and knobs kinda suck but that s an easy fix.

4. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Member

They're okay, but it's hard to find one that you won't have to change a lot of stuff to make it a really good guitar (in my experience).

5. Custom50

Custom50 Member

to my experience they are hit or miss. I have played 2 or 3 and only one really impressed me. This is true of any epiphone though.

6. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

+1000

jb

7. shally

shally Member

agree with the consensus here.

i bought an epi laminate archtop off of ebay that had been hand picked for the seller by the epi rep, and then he had poured a ton of money into it replacing nearly every thing he could to upgrade it (johnny smith PUP, frequensinator tailpiece, thomastik flatwounds, new pick guard).. it is a terrific player and i dearly love it..BUT the guy i bought it from lost money on the upgrades.

if you are going to buy an epi, expect to spend some time looking at a lot of them because it is hit or miss.. also, expect to upgrade some things
    and if you decide to sell it, chances are you will not recoup your expenses

that said, i have seen some L5's that looked to be very expensive and not
    worth the difference...

8. Jamar

Jamar Supporting Member

someone please correct me if there something i am over looking, but in an electric archtop wouldn't it be preferable to have laminate wood over solid wood thinking that the laminate would be less likely to have feedback compared to the solid wood? isn't that one of the appeals of the laminate archtop? its obvious that the solid wood would sound better, but is it really prone to feedback problems or not? im asking out of ignorance. i've never touched a real L5! but the i thought the joe pass was decent.

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Joe Pass played 175s and DA Jazzlines mostly. The Epi Joe Pass was an affordable version of the 175, though it falls short quite a bit. However, it is what, $500-600 compared to $3k for the 175? It is not comparable to an L5 at all, 16' lower bout, all laminate compared to the L5, 17" lower bout, solid wood construction.

Like the Artcore series by Ibanez and any number of made in Asian archtops, the Epi JP is a fine guitar for the $. However, for any of these sorts of guitars, I would immediately change out the pups.

10. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I would say HELL NO! I don't wanna go into bashing. You CAN play JPs and get decent sounds, but there are better options at better prices.

Owned a couple, played a few and played with a few jazz bands using one back in the day. I finally moved on to a borrowed Ibanez GB10 G Benson that I borrowed from the son of a pretty famous 80s singer. Had it for 2 years and was an Ibanez convert.

When Ibanez came out with the new ARTCORE series I was in HEAVEN! I know some AMAZING gigging players who use Artcores and they stay in tune, "Feel" great, and sound really nice! I use a Korean AS80, and I have used the AF75 etc etc and they are great! Pony up for the models that COME WITH SUPER 58s and you can save the trouble of pickup changes. Some Duncan 59, Seth Lovers, Ants, or APH1s and you are SET!

11. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Member

I gig a Joe Pass regularly, and have for a couple of years now. I really like it. The build quality on mine was excellent. The pups are probably the weakest point, but the Epi pups actually sound really good once they're dialed in. The trick is to slightly lower the pups, then slightly raise the pole pieces to compensate.

I played a bunch of the Ibanez Artcores before I bought the JP. Sorry, but the Artcores just let me uninspired, even the AF105's. They felt "cheaper" than the Epi, and the neck profile is goofy.

12. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

normally the word "epiphone" would make me break into a cold sweat, but I have to say that the clippage has some sweet tones on them.

Bryan