• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Epiphone Lazarus

JukeBoxRat

Silver Supporting Member
Yah, pretty much a regular Epi LP. Veneer tops on these, despite what's said in the vid.
Long tenon neck, that's unusual and cool.
I think Epi's only other long tenon in modern times was the Amos Vee.
I suspect Joe may have insisted, in both cases.

Kinda wish they'd given it a nice fat neck, rather than a smallish one.
Of course, more buyers prefer a thinner profile.

I agree Epi has really upped their game in recent years, though.
The new Epi Standard 50s LPs have long tenons, as do the 1959 and the 1960 Tribute Plus.

RRfireblade

The new Epi Standard 50s LPs have long tenons, as do the 1959 and the 1960 Tribute Plus.

Epi has done long tenons on alot of models over the years, rarely advertising it.

Enjoicube

AFAIK the Lazarus has a 2 piece back, and 1 piece neck (at least according to the website) - which you can’t get from the standard 50s and 60s. In addition, it includes a hard shell case, burst bucker pickups, switchcraft jack and switch and a thin satin finish. I don’t have the money atm, but these are definitely worth the premium over the standard lineup.

NamaEnsou

Silver Supporting Member
...I kept waiting for them to show a "before" shot of the Gibson with the red paint!
I'm sure all of us kept waiting for the 'before' shots, especially since it created such a stir.

Hey, there it is in post #17.

Mr Fingers

Just keep pumping out the Bonamassa cosmetic copy models. Which one's next? And then after that? And after that?

jb2

It’s more than cosmetic with neck tenon, 59 dimensions,pu, hard case and etc. I’m fortunate to have a decent stable of guitars. Not a huge jb fan but think decent offering. Sort of thinking of someone starting out from average to good. Costs of guitars on newer folks. Decent guitar with a used Marshall and your rocking.

jiml

Silver Supporting Member
Love the story, but…it really feels like a cash grab. it’s just an amber/lemon burst epiphone Les paul! I mean, big deal.
The "story" (or gloating) got annoying, so much so that I stopped following JB, LPF on Instagram.

FlyingVBlues

Platinum Supporting Member
Regardless of what people think about Joe Bonamassa’s music or his motivations the Lazarus Les Paul gives you a guitar with a one-piece mahogany neck with a long tenon, a Gibson-style headstock, a mahogany body with a maple cap topped with a flame maple veneer, Gibson BurstBucker 2 and 3 pickups, CTS pots, Mallory caps, a Switchcraft 3-way toggle switch and jack, and 50s style wiring for a very affordable price. It looks like it is a perfectly usable instrument for people who want a Les Paul who either can’t, or who don’t want to pay the much higher price for a Gibson.

I bought a Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Goldtop a few years ago from Sweetwater that has similar specs to the Lazarus minus the Gibson-style headstock and the flame top, and it has Grover tuners and a rosewood fretboard instead of the Epiphone Deluxe tuners and a Indian Laurel fretboard that come with the Lazarus. I use it occasionally in situations where I don’t want to take an expensive R8 or R9. There was also a Gibson Les Paul Studio version and a Gibson Custom Shop version of this guitar and I thought the Epiphone version compared well with the Les Paul Studio version for a lot less money.

Last edited:

DiPa

Constant GAS
I saw the video yesterday and enjoyed watching it. I'd like to play one sometime. I'm really not interested in getting any more guitars, (no, really!!!) and if I was it wouldn't be a Les Paul because I'm well set up with those. But it looks pretty cool. The other Epi sig LP I'd like to try is the Jared James Nichols single P90 one.
This is more of a fun guitar to take around and no worries to thrash it as it’s lower cost. I think we all need a fun guitar, plus Epi and JB did a great job on it.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Regardless of what people think about Joe Bonamassa’s music or his motivations the Lazarus Les Paul gives you a guitar with a one-piece mahogany neck with a long tenon, a Gibson-style headstock, a mahogany body with a maple cap topped with a flame maple veneer, Gibson BurstBucker 2 and 3 pickups, CTS pots, Mallory caps, a Switchcraft 3-way toggle switch and jack, and 50s style wiring for a very affordable price. It looks like it is a perfectly usable instrument for people who want a Les Paul who either can’t, or who don’t want to pay the much higher price for a Gibson.

I bought a Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Goldtop a few years ago from Sweetwater that has similar specs to the Lazarus minus the Gibson-style headstock and the flame top, and it has Grover tuners and a rosewood fretboard instead of the Epiphone Deluxe tuners and a Indian Laurel fretboard that come with the Lazarus. I use it occasionally in situations where I don’t want to take an expensive R8 or R9. There was also a Gibson Les Paul Studio version and a Gibson Custom Shop version of this guitar and I thought the Epiphone version compared well with the Les Paul Studio version for a lot less money.
Nicely written brother.

aiq

Silver Supporting Member
Delivery delayed, the half-holiday seems to have gummed up the works a bit. 300 miles away if tracking is correct.

dcburn

Silver Supporting Member
I saw the video yesterday and enjoyed watching it. I'd like to play one sometime. I'm really not interested in getting any more guitars, (no, really!!!) and if I was it wouldn't be a Les Paul because I'm well set up with those. But it looks pretty cool. The other Epi sig LP I'd like to try is the Jared James Nichols single P90 one.
I look everyday on GC used for one (Gold Glory), too cheap to pay full price. One finally came on yesterday, put in my cart to purchase and was already bought, just not taken off site yet. I'll find one...

aiq

Silver Supporting Member
I am still waiting, I suppose it had to happen. My first issue of any kind after dozens of mail purchases and sales.

UPS. Tracking last had Montgomery as reached, 300 miles away...last Saturday.

Now says, “information unavailable” as to tracking but also says “We have the package and it is on the way.”

grrrr

aiq

Silver Supporting Member
Still no guitar.

Talked to Gibson customer service, they contacted UPS who says they have the package but delays are gumming the works. They advised that ten business days are the minimum delay and today is the tenth business day since UPS acknowledged reciept.

Still keeping the faith but….

Mars Rover

I'd buy one just so I could paint it red and and cover up the stupid stenciling on the case with stickers. The geeking out in the video is annoying. A bunch of people trying to figure out exactly what is was? Neely knew what he had, a '59 even in his early instagram posts. Didn't take a Joe B to figure it out. I'd be willing to bet that he even removed some red paint, probably near the seam to confirm the top was figured and matched.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom