• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Epiphone Les Paul; real or fake?

dqualley

Hi all,

I recently purchased a used Epi LP, and have grown paranoid that it may be a fake. I could use the expert opinions of the members here to help. It's a really nice guitar and is in great shape for being 16 years old, this is more an exercise in curiosity than anything else.

Here, then, are the facts:

1. I purchased this guitar used from a private owner, who was not the original owner.

2. The serial number checks out as being made in Epiphone's Samick factory in December of 1993.

3. I suspect this was a factory second due to the imprint on the back of the headstock above the serial #. I am no expert in this, so could also be the result of careless handling?

4. From what I can tell, the guitar has none of the telltale signs of being fake - knobs are aligned, serial number is legit and font appears correct, washers on tuners seem normal size, etc.

I have posted pics as well - if there is any other pics or information that would be helpful I will post that as well. Links to the pictures follow...

Rear of headstock:

Front of headstock:

Knobs:

Pickup cavity:

Back:

Cpt. Picard

Um, aren't ALL Epiphone LP's "fake"?

I keed! :D:hide

Looks real to me.
I can't make out what that imprint over the serial is...

dqualley

Cpt Picard: Touche! I think the imprint says "SEC". Or maybe my eyes are just wanting to make it out that way. I thought that when they stamped factory seconds, they usually stamped "2nd". But it probably varies by factory and time of production.

Dizi: From what I have been told, Epis are faked more often than Gibsons simply because they are easier to pass off as real. People are more prone to closely scrutinize a $2000 guitar than a $500 dollar one. I agree though, sad world when people try to fake a fake...

Garygtr

Almost as good!
Gold Supporting Member
I can't view your pictures (at work), but cosmetic seconds were imprinted with a stamp above the serial number. If the stamp says USED it was likely a "scrap" that was sold and refurbished. I think the seconds were stamped 2ND or SEC...again, I can't view your pictures so excuse me if I'm stating the obvious.
If your serial number starts with "S" it denotes Samick, they made a lot of Epi's stuff in the early-mid 90's and were usually very good quality, definitely a cut above the other factories denoted with U, F, I, etc. Samick made the bulk of the LP copies until about '96 or so when they started to use other less expensive factories.

Funkwire

I don't see anything in the photos to indicate that it's fake. Is there anything in particular causing you to think that it is?

dqualley

Nah. Mainly for curiosities sake, since I bought it used. I'm pretty convinced now that it is a real Epi. Since it is older, though, I am more wanting to know more about it - what the pickups are, the materials it is made from, etc. I emailed Epiphone about this and they just sent me a brochure (not very helpful). From the back, it appears that the body is made from several pieces (5 or 6) of wood. Looks like mahogany or an alder/mahogany mix, can't tell. It's heavy enough to make me think it's mahog.

Trending Topics