Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by LPguitarman, Sep 3, 2008.

1. LPguitarman

LPguitarman Member

Any opinions on Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top. My son ordered a Transparent Blue over the weekend. He should be getting it this week.

Any input will be appreciated.:JAM

2. Bob V

Bob V Member

Not sure about a "plus" top model but the Epiphone "custom" or "deluxe" or "flametop" models have gold hardware and nicely figured veneers on the top. The Epi's are made from a veneer over some other wood underneath rather than a solid maple carved top, but you wind up with an extremely desireable flame figure on an affordable instrument. My nephew has one, very impressive fit and finish. You've probably read already that the wires and the jack are not the same quality as a Gibson but that can be fixed. The Alpha pots are fine, and the switch is a decent quality lately (you'll read bad reviews gong back a few years and I think Epi responded with a better part). A pro setup and maybe a fret dressing will do wonders for any new guitar. Don't worry about changing the pickups unless you really can't get used to the sound. Lots of luck to you both on this one.

3. LPguitarman

LPguitarman Member

Thanks, That's probably the first thing we will do is get my local guitar tech to set it up and dress the frets.

Thanks for the input, now I can explain why his Epi is less expensive than my Gibby.

4. frank62

frank62 Member

I have one and play it all the time. Love the darn thing. They don't need anything done to them. Not the one I have anyway. They look good, play good, sound good...It's a Les Paul.

5. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    I have an Epi LP Custom and after a pro set up and 3 VooDoo pickups it is a fine guitar. The neckwas good to go and its made of mahogany.

I love it
    gig it regularly

6. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

I have one, and for the price it is a very nice guitar.

I changed the pickups, because at louder volumes I could hear an unpleasant break-up. I am also considering changing the electronics, just to see what that does.

Overall, though, the guitar plays and feels good. I wish I had something this good when I was starting out!

Best wishes to you and your son!

7. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I think you'll be very happy with it. I had one in Honeyburst, and only sold it to finance a Gibson LP.

8. LPguitarman

LPguitarman Member

Thanks to everyone for the great input. My son's all a twitter anticipating his new guitar day...:RoCkIn

9. LPguitarman

LPguitarman Member

The Blue LP arrived yesterday. Looks great and sounds great too. I will have a set-up done to lower the action and adjust the neck, but that was to be expected.

Thanks for all of the input...:AOK

10. dcooper830

dcooper830 Member

Excellent! I have a lot of experience with Epiphones and I really like 'em!!

Usually a good fret dressing and set up will make them play much better.

But they're not bad right out of the box. I even really like the stock pickups!!

I have Gibson Les Pauls and Epiphone Les Pauls and I take them both to gigs regularly.

Sure the Gibsons are better.... but the Epiphones are still very good and fun to play. :AOK