Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bog_72, Dec 19, 2009.

1. bog_72

bog_72 Member

So ive owned many types of guitars over the years,...the Jacksons the Kramers...the Fenders...the Ibanez's,....Yamaha.....etc etc...you get the picture...

So I was firmly in the "keep walking" crowd when it came to the Epiphones....and for good reaason,...I mean,..I wasnt a total snob,....if it looked like a deal,...id pick it up,....and always put it right back down.

Now in recent years,...ive been in the market for a Les Paul.....was going to go no higher than a couple grand,....and I began.

Quickly I was pelted with this "faded" line of Les Pauls.......this unfinished,....you save for it,..approach,.....I picked them up,.....and would always put them right back down.......long story short......the lower end Gibsons,...started feeling like yesterdays Epiphones to me.
    The studios.....any of the faded,.....even some of the standards that were marked below 2 bills(which was still my cut off)

I still had not even bothered with the epi's,.....my mind was made up years ago on them.
    Anyway.....I wanted to hear an Alchemist at the guitar center.....and the room to hook up and jam,....has a epi les paul standard......so I just grab it as a "what the hell".....plug it in,....and go.

I couldnt believe it......I looked at the headstock maybe 12 times to double check....it turns out,.....that where Gibson started cheaping out...Epiphone was doing the opposite,....and giving you as much as possible for the price,.....where Gibson was taking the more,.....this is all youll get for a grand,.....going as far as to not finish painting them.

Now im not taking a jab at Gibson,.....you need to get over two grand,....thats very obvious,.....but in my search for under two.......I couldnt see the extra 1500 for the gibson.

I picked up the Ebony with silver hardware,.....elegantly plain,.....and all balls.
    I am still blown away at the price and sound and feel combined,.....this has to be the best deal around,...it was 430 bucks.
    alnico classics,.....grovers.......I dont know,.....just seems like a steal,.....I keep trying to find what the catch is......and I keep getting more attached to this guitar.

If you get a chance......dont do what I did for years ,....and just walk by it,.....before you go buy that cheaper studio,....or faded standard,.....look at these......for 430 bucks.....it actually sounds good enough to not upgrade anything.
    Sure,...you can,.....and Gibson has higher end electronics and pups,....but an extra grand worth ??

Anyway....Rock on,.....its a great time to be a guitarist on a budget.....the options are so much nicer.

2. GASattack

GASattack Member

I agree ... Ive played many Epi's that will make you doublecheck the headstock ....

Same token, ive played alot that I just sat right back down too ...

You gotta play as many as you can to find the one that is right for you!

3. Anchorage42

Anchorage42 Member

I've got an epi les paul that I love. Needs new pickups but it's a ton of fun to play with.

4. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I am the first guy to try a love a cheap guitar i have guitars that range from $150 that I love to ones that cost thousands. Played maybe ten epi lps in my life owned a few . Sorry to say I have yet to find one I liked , not a snob just did not hit the winner yet , maybe the newer ones are better , I will also take another look