Epiphone LP pickup connection question...

spiralizer

Sorry for the newb question but I've never really messed around changing pickups before and I don't want to mess anything up.

QUESTION:

I have a 2014 Epi Les Paul Standard Protop Plus w/ProBucker Pickups (coil tap). I'm interested in changing the bridge pickup to a Gibson 'Dirty Fingers' which has a quick connect wiring scheme. The problem is, I'm not sure if my Epi is quick connect capable...below are a couple pics of the wiring...any help is massively appreciated!

Brian N

I don't see why they wouldn't be compatible but if it were me, I would just get rid of the quick connect and solder it in. That will open up more pickup possibilities.

JBid

I think I missed something. What's wrong with your bridge pickup?
BTW, connectors are different types.

spiralizer

I think I missed something. What's wrong with your bridge pickup?
BTW, connectors are different types.
Nothing is wrong with the bridge pickup specifically, I'm just looking for something hotter and the Dirty Fingers seem to fit the bill.

JBid

Nothing is wrong with the bridge pickup specifically, I'm just looking for something hotter and the Dirty Fingers seem to fit the bill.
I have a Dirty Fingers in my N-225. I like it a lot. It isn't really much "hotter" sounding than a Probucker, though.

Last edited:

spiralizer

I have a Dirty Fingers in my N-225. I like it a lot. It isn't really much "hotter" sounding than a Probucker, though.
Maybe not hotter, but from what I've heard, it would work better for hard rock/metal and that's mostly what I play. Would you say it's significantly better than the Probucker?

JBid

Maybe not hotter, but from what I've heard, it would work better for hard rock/metal and that's mostly what I play. Would you say it's significantly better than the Probucker?
For Metal, possibly, though what I find best about it is that it's super clean. I use mine for jazz and Robbie Krieger style leads, but it dirties up fine, of course. I just know a lot of my clients buy hot pickups expecting huge differences in volume or treble response, only to be disappointed when it turns out that any differences are more nuanced rather than overt. My other observation is that they are often more disappointed at what they lose in terms of flexibilty, i.e. I have a blazing shred machine, but now I'm screwed if I want to play "Til there was You." A good pedal might get you where you want to go.

spiralizer

For Metal, possibly, though what I find best about it is that it's super clean. I use mine for jazz and Robbie Krieger style leads, but it dirties up fine, of course. I just know a lot of my clients buy hot pickups expecting huge differences in volume or treble response, only to be disappointed when it turns out that any differences are more nuanced rather than overt. My other observation is that they are often more disappointed at what they lose in terms of flexibilty, i.e. I have a blazing shred machine, but now I'm screwed if I want to play "Til there was You." A good pedal might get you where you want to go.
Thanks! I appreciate your insight! I just recently got a Mesa Rectoverb 25 and really wanted to maximize my sound. Maybe the money is better spent on a maxon od. You've given me lots to think about, thank you.

Trending Topics