Epiphone "Made in USA" question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 10string, Mar 6, 2008.

1. 10string

10string Member

In the 80's Epiphone made an SG knock-off that had "Made in USA" right under the Epiphone logo. What was the 1 pickup configuration called? I thought it was something like "spirit" or "esprit". Also, anyone know where I could find one? Thanks, Tone.

2. Alvis

Alvis Member

3. bhap2

bhap2 Member

It was marketed under the Gibson and Epiphone trademarks it was called the Spirit. It was equipped with either 1 or 2 Dirtyfingers Humbuckers. they were some of the last guitars to leave the Kalamazoo Plant when Gibson moved to Nashville. These used to be a real bargain but prices are going up as more people find out about them. Google Gibson Spirit.

4. 10string

10string Member

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

my friend just scored the 2-pickup version of that, and it's killer! the neck is a little wide/flat for my taste, but the pickups are some of the best i've ever heard. they're double cream, about 8-9k, and just scream in a fat and balanced way. everyone guesses that they're dirty fingers, but i don't think so, as the DFs are supposed to be 14-15k ceramic magnet metal monsters, which these are not. the guitar has a maple neck, which i suspect adds to the clarity of its sound. i'm trying to talk him into getting a nice lightweight 1-piece compensated wraparound tailpiece for it.

6. 10string

10string Member

Walter,

Ask your friend if the model of the guitar is printed on the headstock, as I recall the 1 and 2 pickup configs had different but similar names. And yes, it DIDNT have a stop-tail piece config of a LP. Thanks for the input.

7. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Any pics of your guitars in your sig? Those are some beauties you don't see everyday. Very cool!:AOK

8. 10string

10string Member

9. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

A buddy had an Epiphone USA 2 Pickup Spirit. IIRC, it also had a "KMZ" by the Epiphone USA logo.

And he scored it for $75 at Goodwill

10. 10string

10string Member

No, I was wrong on 3/10. What I was looking for was the Epiphone USA Special. They were designated I & II for the 1hum and 2hum configs.