Epiphone Masterbilt First Runs?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by SouthTownFlyer, Feb 10, 2015.

1. SouthTownFlyer

SouthTownFlyer Member

On my quest to find a good beater acoustic, I found a guitar on Craigslist. The guy was selling an Epi Masterbilt AJ-500M for $50 and I figured it couldn't be true. Turns out, he bought it for his wife and she didn't want to play, so he just got rid of it. Came with case and all kinds of other accessories he bought.

On inspection, I realized it was an older model - looks like mid 2005 - so I did some more digging to its value. Some guys online talk about "first run" guitars having a little more value due to build quality and the like. I have tried finding what qualifies as a first run to no success. Anyone have a clue on this?

2. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Member

No clue but that's a steal. I've played a few from the masterbilt series and they sound great.

3. SouthTownFlyer

SouthTownFlyer Member

It does have a really good tone and plays super nice. A buddy told me to check it out and I'm glad I did.

4. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

WOW, you stole that, 50 bucks? Seriously, it would easily get 7-8 times that on the used market and even at that price they are great guitars and an exceptional value.

5. SouthTownFlyer

SouthTownFlyer Member

I honestly thought it was stolen, but he even included the receipt. I bought it for my dad, who said he was interested in learning, but he's moved on to another hobby so not sure if he wants it. If I kept it, would I keep my "good acoustic" is the next question.

6. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I will give you 100 bucks for it, and what the heck, I will cover shipping and paypal fees. :D

7. SouthTownFlyer

SouthTownFlyer Member

Now, that is a tempting offer.

8. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

That is a smoking deal - about six times less than the best price I have run across. That model first appeared in 2004 and was available for 7 or so years. I would think the first run thing might make it more marketable but does not necessarily make it any more valuable.

9. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

I do not know how the older stock is built, but the cedar top I recently purchased from Sweetwater was a way better value on a very good quality solid wood and incredible good fit & finish for the $799 I paid for it delivered. Closest thing in a Taylor was well over $2200 in cost

10. SouthTownFlyer

SouthTownFlyer Member

My "good" acoustic is a Benito dread. Made by a former employee of Taylor's and features a lot of the same design, except for the top which is an old redwood variety. Got it for a great price back in '08 and feel it competes with a lot of upper end guitars in its own way; however, I don't play it so often and the bang for the buck on this thing makes me question whether I need the expensive thing.

11. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

I've had several Masterbilts. I like the older matte finish ones with the tortoise guards as they seem to have thinner tops.

I had a newer AJ500M with a gloss top and black guard that didn't sound as good as the matte ones....

12. monty

monty Member

Killer deal. I paid a lot more for mine and it is worth every penny.