Epiphone Masterbilt vs Blueridge vs Takamine

Rev2S

Hi. I am trying to decide on a acoustic guitar around $500 new. I am trying to decide between Epiphone Masterbilt, Blueridge, and Takamine. Is there any one of these that are better than the rest?

Thanks!

zombywoof

There is no better or worse about it. Despite all the forums and what have you, there is still only one way to pick a guitar. Which ever one sounds and plays better to you is the right choice. Have fun with the hunt.

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
Recording King is fielding some excellent, all solid wood guitars in that price range. I play a 1944 Gibson acoustic, but I've been floored at how good RK guitars are.

Check the Buy and Sell at umgf.com. Often have used Blueridge and Recording King guitars posted.

campfirehero

Recording King's are nice, but the finish is too damn thick. Blueridge is a great pre-war martin spec with similar voicing, but the nut width and string spacing can get a little cramped. The epiphone masterbilt is nice, but some don't like a satin finish.

I've had all three actually and my favorite is the epiphone masterbilt aj-500r.

I had the blueridge br-163 and the recording king ro-127? Both 000's, but that masterbilt aj just feels and sounds great and I wasn't looking for a dread type guitar...

chappy

Gold Supporting Member
Get a Masterbuilt. But look for one thats a couple of years old. The brand new ones are braced a little heavier.

bbigsby

Played the Masterbuilt DR500, Rosewood and Mahogany model and was very impressed. Soundwise it was right up there with $1500 Taylors and Martins. I have played Blueridges as well and were equally impressed.

A Tak would not even come into the equation unless you are looking for a guitar soley for live performance.

AcousticDude

I have a Taylor 410CE and a Martin JC-16RE. I've had other Martins over the years too, and have played several friends' Taylors (814 & 914CE) as well as my buddy's Seagull. I feel pretty comfortable being able to judge a good guitar. I agree with a previous poster that a good Tak will run you a lot more than what you are looking at. Although they too are very good at the upper end.

With that said, the Seagull is pretty good and having played it side-by-side with a Masterbuilt EF-500R, the Seagull is much better. The sound is more open. Notes sustain longer and more clearly. You can tell that the bracing on the top allows more resonance. The neck is very comfortable and overall I think it plays very nicely. Pricewise, the Seagull is right in there. So at the end of the day, you have to play a lot of different guitars and find what works. But the point is, check out the Seagulls.

Trending Topics