Epiphone Moderne

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DrumBob, Feb 21, 2009.

1. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I'll actually give a modest finder's fee to anyone who can find an Epiphone '58 style Moderne for me. I'm currently reading that new book, "Moderne: Holy Grail of Vintage Guitars," and I have always wanted one of these oddballs, but can't pony up the money for an '82 Gibson reissue. Those go for $4-5K now. If anyone has a line on an Epiphone, or even an Ibanez reissue, PM me, please.

2. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

What is the book you are talking about and where can I get a copy????

I came REAL close top buying an Epi Moderne a year or so ago for giggles...I'll keep my eyes open, they seem to pop up around here fairly often. In the meantime, here is my 82 Moderne, I bought it about 10 years ago (give or take) and have gotten a LOT of use from it...when I bought it all the gold was still in tip top shape but that wore pretty quckly! I still have the original Shaw pickups for it but the Duncan Pearly Gates just brought her to life!

[​IMG]

3. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Hey, thanks for looking for me. I will definitely throw a few bucks your way if you find one and I complete the transaction. That book can be had almost anywhere that books are sold. It's all over Ebay!

4. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

they were around a while , i actually almost had one too on a whim , oh well , keepmy eyes open they are around I am sure , not as hard to find as the Ibanez models that were made for a short time

5. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I've got one of each:
    [​IMG]

I got the Gibson from Gil Southworth years ago. I picked up the Epi off of eBay. It took me quite a while to find one and close the deal. They weren't going cheap - $700 - $1000, as I recall. I play the Epi out and keep the Gibby at home.

6. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

[​IMG]

yay Moderne's!

there's a book?!??! I'll need to find that. I have not seen it up here in Toronto yet, although I troll every book store I get close to for books on instruments.

It took me 15 years to see a gibson Moderene in person for sale up here. I bought it immediately (although I did have to see several things in order to pay for it). I remember seeing a couple of Epi Moderne's for sale for $700 around 2001 in Long and McQuade, but it played so badly that I did not think it worth the money. Obviously people disagree, or I played a particulary bad one.

7. chucke99

chucke99 Member

The Ibanez Modernes (called the "Futura") were only made for a couple years in the mid-1970s. When they come up, they sell for more than $2,000.

8. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Bob, I'll for sure look out for one...a few years back when Epi was still selling them here in Atlanta they sold a BUNCH of them and they pop up now and then in the local used market.

To the rest of you guys, glad to see Im not alone!

I wanted to get that Epi for playing out with but in the end opted not to...they wanted almost as much for the Epi as I had payed for my Gibson when I bought it and like jeffwith1f I bought the first one I ever saw in person and I looked for a long time to find it!

I see you guys are still running the stopck Shaws, you dig them??? Still running the stock pots and such??

9. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

I dig.
    my only complaint about the 1982 Gibby Moderne is that the vintage-era correct small fret wire is not what I am used to, seeing as I cut my teeth on gutiars made mostly in the 90's.

no way I'd change it though. does make for nice low action.

10. Stike

Stike Member

I have an Epi. Moderne I got years ago when Mars was blowing them out for lie $250.00. Epiphone didn't make many so when they do pop up on Ebay they aren't exactly cheap, cheaper than the early 80's Gibson's but around a grand for a used Epi. seems steep to me. I do like mine however.

11. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Ya know, I actually like that smallish fret wire...it's still bigger than vintage Fender wire but not so big that it ends up jacking the action up high and I like to feel a little fret board.

On the pickups, I pulled the Shaws when I changed the pots (hated the taper of the stock pots) but I've thought a few times about going back to the Shaws...

12. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

Do you still have the Shaw's? I believe that in the Moderne I supposedly have "Shawbuckers" as they are called some times, and these seem to be highly regarded. I have a suspicion that I also have a set in my 335, which is from the first month or so of the Dot reissue transition in 1981, I've heard that they early run one's also have them.

Both guitars sound great to me, in particular the 335 is possibly the most mature sounding instrument I own. A total lesson to me that great tone does not nessesarily require a really hot output to sound commanding and big. (if anything it's the opposite)

it's like I'm all growed up and stuff now.

13. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Shaws/Shawbuckers are the same pickup and yes, I still have mine. I do have a buddy with 1984 ES-335 (dot reissue) and it has Shaws exactally like my Shaws except his are nickle and mine are gold.

I liked them but popped in the Pearly Gates pickups and liked them so much saw no need to pull themback out, maybe I'll try the Shaws again but for now they are homeless.

Anybody want a nice set of gold Shawbuckers?!

14. knorr

knorr Member

Hi, still interested in one? Or did you find one? I got one, just resting in the case, I play one of my strats most of the time. I really like my epi moderne (it´s one of the 300 made), but I´m a drummer and need money for a new drumkit. I sold my old kit 5 years ago. I tried to sell the moderne on ebay some months ago, but ebay wount allow me to sell for the right price, I have only used ebay a few times, thats why. They have a limit. I´m Swedish, so the guitar is in Sweden. I really would like to sell to U.S.A. because it seems to be an interest for the guitar over there. In Sweden they say its an odd guitar, they don´t understand the cool myth. Maybe someone else is interested if you are not. Or if you have any advice how to sell to the states. Maybe I can try ebay again, but I´m not sure. Best regards Michael

15. Custom50

Custom50 Member

this thread is 4 years old dude. haha

16. knorr

knorr Member

I know, thanks :) just want to sell my epi moderne.

17. Custom50

Custom50 Member