Epiphone Olympic Pickup Swap--Help? P90/Mini-Humbucker Content...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jimbugg, Jan 24, 2012.

1. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

Hey TGPers!

I'm getting ready to buy a nice old 1965 Epiphone Olympic, much like this:

[​IMG]

I've played a few before, and I like the stock MM pickup, but I'm afraid it will prove too weak in the long run for a lot of the stuff I want to do. I'm thinking about converting it to a P90 (the one I'm looking at is already routed for a humbucker in the bridge, so I won't be hacking it up!).

The only problem is that P90s hum, and I'm leading worship with an amp that already hums--I don't particularly want to add to that. So, I thought, perhaps a mini-humbucker would do the trick. But I really love the P90 sound. I'm thinking a chrome dogear P90 would look killer in there--basically a poor man's Coronet.

The look/sound I'm going for is featured nicely in these vids from Switchfoot:

So, I guess the point is:

1. Would you guys recommend a mini-humbucker or P90, and if so, which type (vintage Gibson, Lollar P90, etc)?

2. If I go with a P90, how can I help eliminate some hum? I know this is a really common topic, but help would be appreciated.

2. jimbugg

3. Edzio

Edzio Member

I put a Lollar P-90 in my 62 olympic and I'm real happy with it. It does hum but I expected that. The trade off of great tone to hum is worth it to me. It really snarls but also cleans up nicely. I'm not sure you can completely eliminate the hum. I've just gotten used to turning the guitar volume down. I have no complaints. I can't speak to a mini hum as I've never owned a guitar with one.

[​IMG]

4. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

pm sent with some suggestions...

5. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

Start looking at hum canceling P-90 designs from Duncan, Dimarzio, Gibson, or whatever company floats your boat. There are plenty of options.

6. sliberty

sliberty Member

Noooooooooooooooooo :rotflmao

Regular P90's hum. But they also sound amazing. And you weill quickly learn to step on your tuner, or roll your volume pot down in between songs. A hum canceling P90 never seems to sound as good as the real thing, and that tone is worth the inconvenience in spades.

7. jimbugg

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to get a P90 for this sucker....

Thinking about the Lollar Overwound P90. Any opinions?