• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Epiphone Olympic Pickup Swap--Help? P90/Mini-Humbucker Content...

jimbugg

Silver Supporting Member
Hey TGPers!

I'm getting ready to buy a nice old 1965 Epiphone Olympic, much like this:

I've played a few before, and I like the stock MM pickup, but I'm afraid it will prove too weak in the long run for a lot of the stuff I want to do. I'm thinking about converting it to a P90 (the one I'm looking at is already routed for a humbucker in the bridge, so I won't be hacking it up!).

The only problem is that P90s hum, and I'm leading worship with an amp that already hums--I don't particularly want to add to that. So, I thought, perhaps a mini-humbucker would do the trick. But I really love the P90 sound. I'm thinking a chrome dogear P90 would look killer in there--basically a poor man's Coronet.

The look/sound I'm going for is featured nicely in these vids from Switchfoot:

So, I guess the point is:

1. Would you guys recommend a mini-humbucker or P90, and if so, which type (vintage Gibson, Lollar P90, etc)?

2. If I go with a P90, how can I help eliminate some hum? I know this is a really common topic, but help would be appreciated.

Edzio

I put a Lollar P-90 in my 62 olympic and I'm real happy with it. It does hum but I expected that. The trade off of great tone to hum is worth it to me. It really snarls but also cleans up nicely. I'm not sure you can completely eliminate the hum. I've just gotten used to turning the guitar volume down. I have no complaints. I can't speak to a mini hum as I've never owned a guitar with one.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
Start looking at hum canceling P-90 designs from Duncan, Dimarzio, Gibson, or whatever company floats your boat. There are plenty of options.

sliberty

Start looking at hum canceling P-90 designs from Duncan, Dimarzio, Gibson, or whatever company floats your boat. There are plenty of options.

Noooooooooooooooooo :rotflmao

Regular P90's hum. But they also sound amazing. And you weill quickly learn to step on your tuner, or roll your volume pot down in between songs. A hum canceling P90 never seems to sound as good as the real thing, and that tone is worth the inconvenience in spades.

jimbugg

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to get a P90 for this sucker....

Thinking about the Lollar Overwound P90. Any opinions?

Trending Topics