1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Epiphone Sheraton 2 question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sniffyduke, Aug 16, 2008.

1. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

I Have a Epiphone Sheraton laying around. A while ago I had it profesionaly set up and it plays great. I always wanted this style of guitar.

I was concidering getting all the electronics switched out and putting Gibson Burst buckers in it. Costs around $250.00

I this worth it or do I go out and spend $3,000 dollard on a Gibson es-335

2. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

or 57s What do you think?

3. Bob V

Bob V Member

I replaced the pickups, pot, jack, wires, nut, and bridge on my Epiphone Dot Deluxe, plus a level and crown job on the frets. It's still nowhere near a Gibson in playability. If you've got an Elitist Epi, maybe, but otherwise there's really no comparison with a real ES.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I had one with changed electronics for a while. It was a darn good guitar. I did eventually sell it and get a 335, but then I've got the disease bad (GAS). For a decent sounding and playing guitar, you could do a lot worse...

5. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

oh, ok, maybe it's a waste of money. I had it set up along time ago and it plays real nice.

I love arch tops but I think (New) Gibsons Quality may not be as great as the vintage gibsons. Its just hard to spend a ton of money on a gibson just because of the name.

I'm not a chepo I have alot of top of the line fenders. But could never justify the Gibson mark up. Maybe I'm just a rebal or an idiot.

In the end I think it's the player, not just the guitar.
    I'll investigate the Sheraton elite.

6. soulohio

soulohio Member

i am thinking hard on a gretsch...but i want an old one...

7. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

There Great guitars : )

8. sqadan

sqadan Member

New Gretsches are of better quality than old ones....

Get a nice new Japanese one.

9. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Member

You could probably get an axe pretty close to the sound and feel of a Gibson for considerably less, but if you're anything like a lot of us here, you probably won't be satisfied until you have the real thing. I think it's usually best to get what you really want - if I get something as a place holder, so to speak, the GAS still won't leave.

10. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I had one and it played and sounded very nice but it wasn't the 335 I wanted so guess where I ended up................