Epiphone Sheraton II conversion to left handed

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sf audio, Mar 16, 2015.

1. sf audio

sf audio Member

Picked up a righty version of this guitar....to convert it to left handed, I could just change the nut and the bridge saddles, but I know the intonation would be an issue. The knobs up on top problem is not exactly comfortable but I can live with it.

Can I somehow make this work without having the remove the bridge, fill the holes, re-drill it and install it? Anyway to get the intonation to work without doing this? I'd rather not spend 100's of dollars if I can avoid it..

2. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

Sell it. Buy a left handed guitar. Seriously.

3. sf audio

sf audio Member

Yeah, but I got this thing so cheap I'd just as soon F with it and see if I can get it to work.

4. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

I agree, sell it and find a lefty one. It shouldn't be too hard to find a lefty Sheraton II. Plus by modding a righty to a lefty you will kill any resale value for right handed players, so you will need to be 100% certain you actually want to keep it.

5. sf audio

sf audio Member

For the price I paid I'd like to keep it, but anyway to get the bridge/intonation to work without ripping it out and reinstalling?

6. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

There's one of these on my local CL- it is a right handed model being sold by a lefty because he came to the conclusion it was too much work. GL to you.

7. oldlefty

oldlefty Member

Ahhh... the joys of righty-lefty semi/hollowbody conversions. You could pull the studs, glue in dowel pieces, re-drill the holes in the opposite orientation- if you were adventurous. I didn't have to go that far with my Casady bass since the bridge was "ambidextrous". But I did do the controls thing.

[​IMG]

8. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

Lefty here.

Used to have a Sheraton. Great guitars.

It's your guitar so do what you want & have fun.

My opinion is you won't get the intonation correct on an angled tunomatic without remounting it at the proper angle for left handed orientation.

If you got the guitar really cheap, I'd sell it for the current average & buy the lefty version.

The nut is easy enough to deal with but the bridge not so much.
    Cost wise if you aren't up to doing he work yourself on the bridge, you'll be spending much of what you could get the lefty for.

9. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

If you bought it right, clean it up and sell it at a profit. Use that money to get yourself a lefty guitar. You would be better off learning how to play righty than trying to get this guitar to be what you need.