Epiphone Sheraton II

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MattNgai, Feb 25, 2012.

1. MattNgai

MattNgai Member

I'm looking to get a hollow body electric. How does an Epiphone Sheaton II compare to a Gibson ES-335? Are they completely different beasts or similar?

2. morglan

morglan Supporting Member

I absolutely love mine (and I'm a snob). The build quality is perfect, it plays like a dream.

I did replace the pickups and wiring harness, which made a huge, huge, huge difference. I just put in a couple of the Seymour Duncan SD1's, looking for that classic ES-335 sound, and I was not disappointed.

(I cant say whether the wiring harness affects the sound very much, but now I can use the volume knobs without losing tone, and the tone knobs are actually useful.)

In my opinion, if you find one that plays nice (and I don't know how much they vary from guitar to guitar--mine was the first and only one I played), you cant go wrong.

3. David Garner

David Garner Member

They're different, but in that price range, I think I like the Sheraton II as well as anything I've played.

I don't know if they are structurally all that different or not -- I just don't know enough about them. I know the few I've played didn't really feel or sound like some of the good 335s I've played, but I also don't know that the 335 sounded or felt 5-6 times better, either.

4. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Member

I traded for a Sheraton II a couple of years ago. It was a decent guitar, but nothing special. I rewired it new Seymour Duncans and better quality parts. That was a tedious job and not worth it, because it still didn't sound like much when I finished. Construction was similar to a 335, with a laminated maple neck instead of the Gibson's mahogany, but quality was much lower. It had fancier trim, but there was a lot of filler around the inlays, and the wood had a lot of flaws showing (natural finish). ln contrast, the 335 I found a couple of months later was nearly perfect, with beautiful figured wood, and a great sound right out of the case.

I've never been a brand snob, but the difference between the Epi and the Gibson was night and day. The Sheraton II was a guitar I could never warm up to, while the 335 was one I bonded with immediately, to the extent of selling my Les Paul and SG guitars. Guys tell me Gibsons have poor quality and Epiphones are "just as good" but that's the opposite of my experience.

Pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. upfrontguitars

upfrontguitars Member

I have a 2000's Sheraton made in Korea, and it is a great playing and good looking guitar. No complaints about the workmanship. Electronics are so-so and I replaced the pickups with a Rio Grande Buffalo and Genuine Texas in the bridge. Much better clarity and not definition. Lots of them used on eBay.

6. tamader74

tamader74 Supporting Member

Yes....and No, I've had 2 Sheratons in my life, the first one (ebony MIK) was pretty good, not perfect a mid '90s model...The 2nd one, a late '80s-early '90s (natural MIK also) I got it unexpectedly from a friend who is not an electric 'git guy, who asked me to check it out for him....and I fell I love, this 'git has got it, and I bought it Immediately !!!,....I also have owned 2 335's in my life, an '82 and a '93...lost/ had to sell both to finish a Divorce settlement....Lets just say, I miss the '82, the '93....I'm just glad I found a headstock snob, The Sherry I have now, has the vibe/feel of my '82 ( no,not the electronics yet,just the feel)....I guess, you have picked 2 guitars that can be close, and especially if you decide on the gibby (due to price) they need to be A/B'ed in person and let YOUR eyes,ears, and hands be YOUR guide, Tom....

7. GeeRocker

GeeRocker Member

Sheraton is a pretty nice guitar and, IMHO, one of the best values out there for semi hollow. The woods are nice and it's basically well made. Electronics keep it from really shining but for a couple hundred bucks in parts, these things really opens up. Just did one for a local blues guy and added CTS pots and new caps and he went with Tonerider Rebel 90's for that P90 vintage tone. Added a new bone nut and gave it a few adjustments and she sang!!

335 is nice but..................... get a well worked Sheraton and I think you'll be happy. Just don't make the mistake of looking at the name on the headpiece.