Epiphone Sheraton vs. Ibanez AS93 Artcore

IRG

Searching for a nice affordable semi hollow. The Epi Dot and the more expensive Sheraton II are high on my list. But I decided to look at the Ibanez offerings too, namely the AS93. Same price as the Sheraton at $599. Overall it seems like a pretty apples to apples comparison.

I have neither to try out locally. I'll buy from someone like AMS or Sweetwater with a good return policy. I have played a Sheraton before and liked it. And I am an Epi fan. But this Ibanez seems pretty nice and gets high marks too. Anyone compare/own both/either and have an opinion one way or the other? How do the neck sizes compare, and the stock pickups?

Both are visually nice guitars:

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Sheraton and was very unimpressed, but that was a long time ago, but from what I've seen of both brands, Ibanez by a long way.

Look at the Schecter Corsair too.

guitfiddle

The Artcore line is very famous for it's consistent quality, which can't really be said of Epi. For a while I gassed for an AS93, but got the jones for the smaller size of the Ibby AM models, so I picked up an AM93 in the yellow sunburst. Killer guitar.

Last edited:

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
You might want to check out the Epiphone ES335 Pro. It's on clearance at Guitar Center for $339 currently. Has binding on the neck, block inlays and much better pickups than the regular Dot (they can be split as well). I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and really could not be more impressed. For what it's worth I did play quite a few Dots and the quality among them was very consistent (in a good way). The Pro model I picked up is really exceptional regardless of the fantastic price.

Evan_R

Silver Supporting Member
I've been pondering this question lately myself. After playing epi's and ibanez's I think the ibanez won in all categories. Especially the simple AS73's which go for under $400 new.

AllenL

I recently helped a friend setup his new Artcore AM93. These guitars are now made in China. The fretwork is excellent. I was really impressed with the even fret height and polished fret-ends. I was able to get the action very low without any buzz. Being that it was a new guitar, I had to adjust the truss rod several times over the course of two weeks, to let the neck settle down to the truss rod tension.

The stock 58 pickups have been a mainstay for Ibanez since the 70s. They sound very respectable.

Overall the AS93 is a great playing and sounding semi-hollow, especially for the money.

AS193

The stock 58 pickups have been a mainstay for Ibanez since the 70s. They sound very respectable.
The Super 58 Custom pickups they put on these guitars are not the same as the original Super 58's from the 80's on.

GreatSatan

Artcores are generally pretty well received, the sheratons i've noticed muchg more divisive.

If it was my money (& it might be, because i've been considering one also) it'd be the ibby.

AllenL

The Super 58 Custom pickups they put on these guitars are not the same as the original Super 58's from the 80's on.

This could very well be the case, but none the less the current 58s on these Artcores are good sounding for the money. I usually find shortcomings in pickups when using OD and these were not bad at all.

By the way, my frames of reference were my ES335 w/Lollars and Sadowsky semi-hollow with stock pups. I'm not saying the Artcore AM93 is as good as these guitars, but the amplified sound through the stock electronics were warm, articulate and even.

IRG

Is the AS93 smaller than the Sheraton/Dot then? Which model from Ibanez is closest?

Epi imo, is more consistent than most people believe/see, but sometimes their setups need some help, maybe a little polishing here and there of some frets, but most of the time, they are a really good platform on which to make it even better. But Ibanez does seem to have very good, consistent quality. Tough decision!

scott944

I have neither to try out locally. I'll buy from someone like AMS or Sweetwater with a good return policy. I have played a Sheraton before and liked it.
Define "locally". A quick search shows 3 GCs within a short drive - Rochester, Binghamton, and Syracuse. Bound to be a handful of other Epi and Ibby dealers in that general area. When I decided to shop for a semi-hollow, I took a day and drove to the nearest larger town and played every example I could find. They ARE different. There are likely several used ones in the area, as well. (there is a used Ibanez AS 73 with aftermarket pickups in Moosic, PA - 134 miles away)

Evan_R

Silver Supporting Member
What's the difference between the AS73 and the AS93? Seems like just the pickups. Anyone ever compare them?

IRG

Define "locally". A quick search shows 3 GCs within a short drive - Rochester, Binghamton, and Syracuse. Bound to be a handful of other Epi and Ibby dealers in that general area. When I decided to shop for a semi-hollow, I took a day and drove to the nearest larger town and played every example I could find. They ARE different. There are likely several used ones in the area, as well. (there is a used Ibanez AS 73 with aftermarket pickups in Moosic, PA - 134 miles away)
True, Johnson City and Syracuse aren't too far away. Sometimes I'm just lazy :) Someitmes I'll travel all over the country too, and when I have time stop in various stores, GC and other places to see what's new or play something I haven't before. Can't recall playing the Ibanez semi hollows. Have tried the Sheratons, pretty nice playing.

Evan_R

Silver Supporting Member
Is it the pickups, or is the 93 just a little dressier in it's looks?
They have flame tops but are they real flame or foto flame? I can't imagine it's real $600 but I also can't believe they'd add $200 on for fake flame.