epiphone spotlight PRS lawsuit model pics

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jaywalker, Feb 11, 2008.

1. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Here's the pics of my Epiphone Spotlight as promised.
    It's easy to see why PRS took Gibson/epi to court all those years ago.
    This one plays like a dream and has ousted many a PRS from my arsenal.
    [​IMG]
    There is a piece of maple missing between the trem and back pickup because a friend borrowed it and put it in the case with the trem arm on, thus causing the trem to push against the wood and split it clean off.
    Grain details:

[​IMG]

Chevron MOP carbon reinforced fretboard:

[​IMG]

Body arch:

[​IMG]

Huge one piece mahogony from head to toe:
    [​IMG]

This one has the Stienberger trem with the lock to add to the already huge sustain.

I've played over 1000 gigs with it and it's never let me down and is in remarkable condition.

2. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Wow, cool guitar. Did they come with a fixed bridge version?

3. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Never seen one, there is also a standard strat style trem version, but that means less mahogony to resonate thanks to the cutout.

4. MoneyJohnE

MoneyJohnE Member

Hello Jay,

I have the same guitar in a Cherry red, nowhere near your condition! My trem. is shot. Can you tell me what model trem and where I can find parts? I would be very thankful for some insight.

Thanks

John

5. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

6. stratrat2000

stratrat2000 Member

It's a Steinberger design (very nice design too), manufactured by Hohner out of cheap pot metal (nasty!). Can't remember the designation - something like S-Trem. Early '90s. They were only available for a year or two, so your chances of finding a replacement that isn't already damaged are small.

I used one for a while, but the posts started bending forwards. First time it happened, Hohner sent me a replacement taken from a demo guitar and the same thing was happening so I insisted on a brand new one.

A year later it was doing the same thing, so I had some replacement posts made from hardened steel - then the holes in the metal base started going oval. So I had longer screw threads made and fitted large steel nuts on the underside of the baseplate and kept the trem locked permanently.

Eventually the whole baseplate started bending. I considered having a new plate engineered, but it would have cost a fortune, so I filled the hole and went fixed bridge on that guitar.

7. zman61

zman61 Member

I have this exact same guitar. My tremolo bent and was unuseable. I opted for a Kahler Tremelo bridge and fret work from a local Luthier. Glad I had it done, the guitar is now at a whole other level of play and quality with the new parts in place.

The screw that holds the trem against the spring isnt strong enough and the posts bend and eventually the screw strips. Its a design defect. The luthier who looked at it recommended Kahler, and he was right on the money on it. my only caveat is that his services cost me a tad over $400, but considering the rarity of the instrument, I felt ok doing it.

total invested in the guitar to date, $450 original purchase, and $400 in upgrades. not bad for an $850 dollar guitar that blows away mpst Les pauls and PRS's out there in terms of sound and initial quality.

Yeah its heavy, but thats why it sustains.

8. 5E3

5E3 Member

Nice! :AOK

I'm not familiar with the lawsuit. Did PRS win?

9. phone-epi

phone-epi Member

After owning one for 20 years, I finally found out what's it's called after researching through google. I bought it back in '89 because it looks cool. I'm not aware about the lawsuit. The Steinberger tremolo unit was shot so instead of replacing, I'd just crafted a piece of wood for replacement, then replaced it with a fixed bridge from a guild guitar. I also replaced the pickups with dimarzios. It may not look like the original but the sound, oh boy, i can't stop playing it up to this day. Maybe because of the upgraded pickups and probably the wood. The sucker looks like a prs but its weigh like a les paul. It's about 13 or 14 lbs. I love it, for short ;)

10. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure it doesn't weight that much, lol.