epiphone tribute plus or a gibson r8/r0?

daveanto21

Gold Supporting Member
Alright, I am not necessarily trying to compare the two. Well maybe a little. I have a lot of strats and have tried les pauls in the past but never bonded with them. I have had an epiphone elitist les paul custom, 2 Gibson usa standards, Gibson 50's tribute, and a kauer daylighter semi hollow body. The kauer is the only one I miss. I really had nothing against the Gibson's I was just enamored with strats. Now I am set with strats and probably have too many. I want to give a Les Paul another chance. Should I jump up to a custom shop or try to ease my way in with a low line Epiphone tribute plus. The Epiphone plus has a deep neck tenon, classic 57's, an actual carved maple cap, and decent electronics. I found one for $450 shipped and it weighs 8.5 lbs. Is there any greater benefit trying to jump all the way up to a R8/R0 for 2k-3.2k? I am not Gibson illiterate and totally understand the differences between the two, but are the custom shops going to be that much better? Are these epiphone tribute plus's pretty damn good? I am just wanting to bring something new into my musical world other than another strat. No need to flame me:) What is your Les Paul experience?

lkft

Newer model Gibson Historics are more about historical accuracy being that's what customers demand. My guess would be if you were to play the two side-by-side you would quickly feel the difference the Historic makes, not necessarily hear it though. To me it's all about the feel, they really feel well made and ooze quality. There is also the the other characteristics of better materials such as a one piece back and choicer woods. Is it worth the extra money?...that's something you'll have to decide.

Matt McGriff

I've got a Trib Plus and it is a fantastic guitar. The only thing people tend to complain about is the 60's neck carve. It's thin, but I like it. I guess most people prefer a chunkier neck.

RJLII

My R8 is an awesome guitar. It plays great and the tone makes me smile every time. When I bought it in '08 I compared it against a couple standards. No contest.

utterhack

each buck you spend over a CVC Squier is diminishing returns but imo just get the Historic. if it takes, great. if it doesn't, now you know for sure you're just not a Les Paul guy.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a relative newcomer to the world of LPs. You may be able to find an epi or a non-Historic LP that feels and sounds as good as a R8, R9, and R0, but the search will probably take you a long time. I have not played a Historic that was a dud. Some are better than others and some are freakin' incredible, but no duds in my experience. YMMV

Trending Topics