Epiphone Valve Junior Head arrived

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kannibul, Jun 14, 2006.

1. kannibul

kannibul Member

First impression was that I didn't care for it cranked - just wasn't "right" IMO - but as I continued to play it, I kinda warmed up to it.

I put my Boss GE-7 in front and gave it a bit of boost, and the amp seemed to come alive!

That said, I'm still going to gut it and rebuild it as an AX84 project :)

I just have to jack-up the turret board so it sets above the sockets, or go true PTP...hmm...

2. rastaman

rastaman Member

In my experience that's sometimes the way tube amps are. They sound different after they get warmed up and sometimes they just sound different just because. That being said, I still LOVE tube amps :dude .

3. Mike M

Mike M Supporting Member

Just got mine today. First impression is lukewarm. I expected it to be a little louder and not so muddy. i have not tried but a couple of tube swaps with no real change in tone. Do you think the preamp tube or the power tube will make the biggest differnce? All I had was some EI Elites for EL 84's. I tried a EI Elite preamp, JJ and the stock Sovtek. As far as speakers cabs, I treid a Hellatone 1x12, 2x12 12Gh30's 2x12 Greenback, 2x12 Cele Blues. Greenbacks sounded the best. I can't expect it to sound like my other amps for 99 bucks, but I really thought it would sound better than it did. Oh well.

4. 6ringing

6ringing Member

Yech that thing's a POS. But how could it be anything else for $99?!

5. baron55

baron55 Member

6. Luke V

Luke V Member

I've found the best tones with volume below 3:00, after that, the mud gets deep, unless you run it through the VJ combo cab. I like the sound of the little speaker and cab.

7. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

Where is that mod?

If you dont mind me asking.

-Jon

8. Derelict

Derelict Member

for about $5 in parts, you can make it sound amazing; mine does. there is a thread about them over at 18 watt and MAN o MAN, mine sounds like a class A version of a plexi with NO mud. It is a MAJOR crunch machine. it is also very dynamic and cleans up incredibly well now. I am running a chinese 12AX7 (peavey stamped) and an original RCA EL84 (cica 1963). just amazing.

the mods i performed thanks to some nice work by zaphod_phil

- Get rid of R6 and replace R7 with a 100k. That will dump the same amount of signal, with less hiss and loss of high frequencies. Higher values of R7 will provide more gain.

- Change C4 and C3 to 2uF, so that the tone doesn't get all mushy when overdriven

- Try reducing R9 to 620ohms (or less) for crunchy overdrive, instead of fizzy distortion

- Change R1 to 1M to reduce attenuation of the guitar signal

- Change R2 from 68k to 10k to let more guitar signal in and reduce noise pickup

9. kannibul

kannibul Member

That's the OT in my first amp I built - an AX84 Hi Octane, but with an octal power (EL34 is what it's setup to be) as well as a noval for the EL84 - just can;t use both at the same time... :)

10. jcourtjr

jcourtjr Member

that is really fantastic.

11. Mike Roberts

Mike Roberts Member

Thanks for the post.

I've been thinking about getting in to a project... something simple to noodle around with (I have an electronics background so I know about the safety issues).

This sounds like a cheap way to get started.

I just submitted a request for registration at the 18 watt forum (I think I got the right one). Waiting to get my account approved.

Gonna do some searches to find out more about modding one. May get lucky and find the schematic available for download.

Thanks again!

12. Mike Roberts

Mike Roberts Member

13. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I did some simple mods to mine. Really, just 2 resistors and a cap and you've taken the amp miles down the road.

R1 - 1M
    R2 - 22k
    C4 - 1uF or .68uF (mine's at .68)

More output and it loses the flabbies in OD.

14. wortles

wortles Member

I got mine about 2 weeks ago. At first, I was using the 12 inch speaker from my old crate solid state, and the thing really didn't do it for me. beyond about 12 o'clock i had some speaker fart starting to come in.

I built a small closed back cabinet (3/4 inch plywood, MDF sound board) 9X10X8 Height width depth, and put a celestion super 8 in there.

Wow, what a difference. The speaker and the cabinet have an huge impact on even overdriven sounds. Now even at 1-2 o'clock, the amp sings. and is totally pick responsive. you strum a chord hard, you get crunch, you play medium, and it is clear with just a hint of overdrive. use your fingers to pluck, and it is crystal clear.

I play a Les Paul. Generally my volume pots are at about 7, and my tone pots are at 6 to 9. all the way up, and the pickups are a bit too hot for my taste.