Epiphone Valve Junior Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by co-intelpro, Mar 12, 2006.

1. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

2. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

Marshall had something similar out several years back. I've heard people plug it into a decent 4x12" cab and were amazed by how well that little amp did. I'm guessing that Epi will be similar.

3. Wes_k

Wes_k Member

4. Notwerk

Notwerk Member

Really nice looking cheap gear. Anyone know anything about those Eminence Lady Lucks?

They have a 4x12 birch cab loaded with them. Would probably make a pretty good match with that little head.

5. reachjkh

reachjkh Member

Played one for an hour or two over the weekend into both a Mesa 4x12 and a 1x12 open back w/ a Red Fang. I loved my FDII into it. Nice sparkle with my Valvulator in front of it.

Once people start figuring out which tubes get the most from this it's gonna be a lot of fun. Mods pages are already showing up on the web for the combo. It is slightly different than the head. The combo needs some mods done to help with the noise. The head version has addressed this and was dead quiet in the lower 2/3 of the volume range.

A removeable power cord, external fuse access, 4/8/16 ohm output jacks all for 99.99? These are going to be very very popular. I intend to have two.

6. whitehall

whitehall Member

Yeah, for 100 bucks I'll buy one when they come around. But I really want to play that new Blues amp they make.

7. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

hereigoagain,

What's the name of that Marshall model? I'm interested in the Epi VJ Head as well but would love to learn more about the little Marshall.

8. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

Gonna be a great way to listen to individual pre and power tubes. Plug into A GOOD speaker, set ohmage, start swappin' tubes...will be able to find those pesky microphonic '84's.....
    BZT

9. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

Available yet? This looks mint. I will buy one asap and start ripping it apart as soon as I can!!

10. reachjkh

reachjkh Member

Yes. Musicians Friend, Music123, etc.

11. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

Just ordered one today! I'll let you guys know when it comes in and how it sounds.

definitely planning on doing a tube swap. i've got a ZBest 2x12 cab i'm gonna run it through, and see how she sounds!

12. n8b

n8b Member

They are so dang simple that they are really easy to mod, too. I recently swapped the pcb (it had some issues) for an eyelet board for a customer. It was just about the easiest mod I've done. I wouldn't consider the transformers the best in the world, but for $100 it can't be beat.

13. Amplite

Amplite Member

I still can't decide if I should pull the trigger on the Epiphone Valve Jr. head or the Mad Proffessor head???

14. einstein

einstein Member

can you use it as an overdrive into another tube amp or would that be gay?

15. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

I don't know what Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhall would think of that technique, but I wouldn't do that. :rolleyes:

I'd just use an OD pedal or a "clean boost" pedal as an OD. Now, if I knew the main amp could handle the signal level on the input side, then I might consider using something like that as an OD, but I don't think I'd consider it for very long.

16. einstein

einstein Member

i actually had to google that to see if it was funny.

yeah i have amps that can take it for sure but theyre stereo of course single ended or and push pull. could they be modded for strictly a boost ala briane mays little amp running into his big amp, darcy i think??????
    it would be an inexpensive box as most od boxes are twice as much $.

17. Matt H

Matt H Guest

do a google search for a schematic of the "herzog" or the "firezog" over at AX84. same principle.

to turn this into a giant overdrive pedal, you'd need a load (power resistor is the cheapest/easiest way) and a few parts to make a "line out" function.

18. einstein

einstein Member

ok i will get one and send it to kye kennedy my amp guy for the line out. should be a big bang for the buck plus i havent had a small amp since hi school when suddenly princeton reverbs were way to small to be cool and we all sold them for nothing because they werent 8 feet tall.

19. Notwerk

Notwerk Member

Any word on the Epi cabs?

20. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

I would have just said "the Brokeback Mountain guys," but then some pc-thug might have whined to the moderators like a little school girl. :Spank