Epiphone Valve Junior Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by polifemo, May 15, 2006.

1. polifemo

polifemo Member

I´m interested in the Epiphone Valve Junior Head (1 x EL 84/5 watts)

It´s only 99 USD, and I would guess that it could sound quite nice with my RC booster in front of it!

Clips anyone?

2. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

Yep that's my link/site. I'll be doing more clips soon with some mods against the stock unit. Also found that the Scumbag H75 speaker was the best sounding so far as 1x12's were concerned. Full with presence!

3. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

best 99smackers I ever spent!

4. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

I bought one too! Needs some tweekin thou, I've been getting ideas over at the 18watt.com site there's a great thread on tweaking these amps there! Seems that theres alot of ideas and opinions on how to really turn the amp into a little screamer. There is alot of room for improvement on these amps.Mercury Magnetics is even offering a transformer set w/ choke and a modded schematic for them!

5. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of it's $99 charm?

6. ngtubeamper

ngtubeamper Member

No the charm is , you get a smokin amp for $99 and HUGE tone w the Mercury Mod ! What else can you say that about ?
    Merc Rules !

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

This whole $99 amp thing is very interesting. It sounds like a great deal but almost everyone who has posted in these threads has talked about the shortcomings, which are to be expected for the price and ways to improve them.

I understand tweaking equipment. I do it myself but I tend to hang on to stuff for a long time. A lot of guys here change gear almost as often as they change their socks. That being the case, you'll have invested about $400 with some of these mods and might get $150-200 when you sell. Maybe. After all, it's still a $99 amp.

8. polifemo

polifemo Member

Is that the adress?
    My computer tells me that it can´t locate the server...

9. Matt H

Matt H Guest

any of the shortcomings of this amp, as far as i'm concerned, can be fixed with a pair of clippers, a resistor, and a capacitor.

I certainly wouldn't drop a penny toward an MM "upgrade package" for this amp.

10. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

I got the head a few weeks ago and quite like it. It is a little dark. My amp guru is going to put in a bright switch and a MM choke and we'll see what that does. The tone is pretty cool but I think it will be good to have the option of brightening it up a little. I use it for rehearsals so the singers have half a chance....

11. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

polifemo do a search on yahoo w/ 18watt.com and the first listing is the 18watt community center and your there!

12. Matt H

Matt H Guest

er, other than for the sake of charging you- why is he putting in a choke?

13. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

i picked up one of these about a week after they came out, and i haven't really done much but swap the stock tubes out.

for $99 and a few more in tubes, i'm gonna leave it be, as it seems to be an awesome little amp to me!

14. Lution

Lution Member

Andy,

great clips. I just recently installed a 100pf cap in the R6 spot of my VJ Head. The results were pleasing. A nice bit of high end and some more low-end definition is what I hear.

but I'm still trying make a final decision on speakers. I don't think I'm going to drop the green on a Scumback, trying to keep this low budget.

Eminence Wizard, A Greenback, or Avatar Hellatone 30 are my final choices which will go into an SS 1x12 cab.

15. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

agreed

16. Matt H

Matt H Guest

lution- i don't know how muhc difference the cap made, but i'd recommend *against* the greenback for a stock Vjr. If the wizard is close to the g12H30/hellatone30, it'd sound good.

my fave 12er for this amp is the red fang though- i know it costs a little bit more, but you might consider it...

17. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I've got one of these on order. Due in around the end of the month - I hope. Just going to do a few mods to it - cheap mods (resistors and caps). I have decent US 12AX7's laying sournd and just landed some NOS EL84's of various makes. That's about all I'll do to it.

18. mik777

mik777 Member

I heard one in the Mercury Magnetics room at the amp show, they a/b a stock one next to the mod. Wow!! I could not believe the difference. I would say the mod is definitely worth it.

19. Matt H

Matt H Guest

"the one in the mercury magnetics room at the amp show"-

ok, i'll take the bait... what else did they change in it?

an OT can impact the sound, sure- but if the PT is putting out the same voltages, that sure as hell isn't going to matter. If it's properly filtered (and the amp has plenty of filtering, at least the head version), a choke won't change anything (that whole SE class A pull on power supply issue).