Epiphone Valve Junior

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kannibul, Jun 10, 2006.

1. kannibul

kannibul Member

I've got one on order, and am thinking I'll play with it for a month or so, then mod the crap out of it, and possibly replace it with the AX84 SEL design :p

Any thoughts on this amp out of the box? I've puchased the head version - for $99, it's still cheaper than buying a headbox and chassis :)

2. Leftee

Leftee Guest

3. kannibul

kannibul Member

4. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Have you checked out the Mercury Magnetics mods (follow the links on their site)? Sounded really good to me. I'm pretty sure I'll get one and do their mods.

5. kannibul

kannibul Member

I'd probably not, actually :)

he gut+rebuild would get me to what I want out of the little amp - just gotta find out how big it really is, and see what I can do with it once I decide to do it :)

I get a smile on my face hearing this amp, and thinking of it coming from a little box :)

http://annex.ax84.com/selel34.mp3

6. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I was committed to find great tone in this amp while spending < 10% of its cost on the parts. :p

7. Wayne8

Wayne8 Member

I've got both the combo and the head. What Leftee said on the head (at least on the version I have-I understand there may be older/newer versions which may/may not be the same?).

The combo, however doesn't have that problem, at least the version I have. The tone is just perfect stock, although it does have the hum that you hear so much about.

I'm going to get the mods done that Leftee suggested for the head and also get the combo modded for the hum.

8. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Got mine a couple of days ago. Sounds pretty good, but now that it's here, I'm really not sure what I'm gonna do with it. It's not like I can't get great low volume tones with my other gear. Mmmmm

jon

9. GaryT

GaryT Member

Love the tone, and the playing!

Can you share details about the equipment used? Amp, speakers, guitar, pedals, settings, etc....

Thanks,

Gary

10. kannibul

kannibul Member

Oh, it's not me, I hot-linked it from ax84 just to give an idea of what I'll build into the Epi eventually. It's a prototype amp they are working on, which is the next "Hi Octane" :)

This is the thread that had the clip, that I hotlinked from:
    http://ax84.com/bbs/dm2.php?id=239367

11. kannibul

kannibul Member

A properly sized dropping resistor or using a Zener Diode in there might do the trick as well :)

That is, unless you have a variac laying around :D