Epiphone Valve Senior

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by playing4one, Jun 26, 2009.

1. playing4one

playing4one Member

I have seen the Epiphone Valve Senior in the past and stumbled upon it again on the sweetwater website. Does anybody know anything about these or what is going on with the production line. I know that this group tends to be more into the off name boutique amp but I am really partial to my little modded Valve JR. I am interested in maybe picking one of these up in the future. Any thought?

2. andrekp

andrekp Member

I think it got derailed (like lots of other things) when the commies closed Chinese industry down so they could throw 1 billion bodies at making the Olympics look totalitarian.

Meanwhile, Epi is probably re-assessing what they're doing.

So don't believe in it until you see it.

3. playing4one

playing4one Member

Do you know if any of them made it onto American soil. I have seen photos of some but I have only seen one place where you can purchase them.

4. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure some made it to Epi for eval.....my guess is that Sweetwater is promoting pre-production sales..trying to be the first on the block following all the VJ interest. the pics are probably straight from Epi...at least, that's my guess ;)

5. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

Doesn't make much sense to produce it with the BC 30 @ 30/15 watt offering-- I guess--maybe-- but what the hell do I know.

6. aaronbarnes

aaronbarnes Member

Different tubes, head format, built-in audience that the BC never seemed to gain.
    I will probably get one, and am really looking forward to all the handwire rebuild kits that are sure to follow it.

I think these little amps are what the next generation of builders and designers are going to spring from, much like how fender and Marshall and vox have led to the current generation. Just my opinion.

7. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

Cheap price...easily modded.....lower quality components begging to be upgraded....it's a no-brainer for Epi to push 'em now that the market has eyes on the next evolution of the VJ.

You've gotta give some credit to the folks like Mercury Magnetics (and like) that advertised the "so easy to mod that your sister could do it" kits with detailed directions for helping Epi get their break on this....think back pre-vj, there were quite a few small combos by other manufacturers that could have had the same results with similar mods...just as easy to complete....they could've been just as popular to the folks wanting to dig in and rebuild/mod a tube amp with uncomplicated circuitry....marketing success story for sure!

8. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Dang, can't Epi just release this dang amp? I'm trying to avoid buying a Blackheart because the BH doesn't have the spring reverb.

9. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

Sweetwater now has the combo in stock and the head is supposed to be in today. I was one of the original ones to put the combo on order last year and mine is on the way.

I bought mine based on the price and features, but have no idea what the type of circuit is uses. Anyone have an idea? It also has the same Eminence Lady Luck speaker that's used in a various Epi amps. Are these decent?

10. champster

champster Member

I was really interested in this amp, a year ago. After the numerous delays, I've bought a few different amps. Contacting Sweetwater during that time never got me any responces. Good luck with it and hopefully the first batches will work without any problems. Maybe in the future I'll be interested if this amp turns out to be a good one.

11. playing4one

playing4one Member

I'm in the same boat, I was interested but it took way to long. I picked up a Bugera V22 and I am very happy with it.

12. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

This is basically what I wish my BC30 was; <20W, single channel, head option (that BC30 was probably 75 lbs.). I've been looking for a back up for a while and this seems like it might work.

13. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I hope you post a review of the valve senior after a test run. The only type of amp I'm lacking now is the 6V6 tube variety, so I'm interested.

The lady luck speakers are designed with a very flat response, making them universally suitable to many flavors of amps, and what you hear with them is the amp, not the speakers.

14. Jack Dotson

Will do. I've been looking for a budget 6V6 amp for some time. When I saw this one with tube reverb, master volume and gain, four EQ's with a wood cabinet I couldn't pass.

I'm not setting my expectations too high at this price, but am hoping for the best.

BTW, your description of the Lady Luck sound just like the Eminence Legend Modeling 12 I pulled from my Gibson. The one was dropped about the time the LL came out. Maybe just a new name?

15. chucke99

chucke99 Member

I also bought a Blues Custom 30W while waiting on the Epi Valve Sr. head (and I absolutely love the BC30). I'd really like to hear how the head sounds, because I still may need a lighter "carrying around" head to go with an old Mesa Boogie 12" cab I have.

Please post a review soon!

16. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

17. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Well, Sweetwater has a three-pay plan that made my decision to get one of these a no-brainer. (As in, I did not use my brain.) That makes three Epi "valves" for me now (the Sr., a Special, and the BC).

I think this Sr. head driving my 1986 Mesa 1-12" cab is going to be a killer little jam combo (and half the weight of the BC).

18. Jack Dotson

I really like my Valve Senior. I think your going to be pretty happy. The LL speaker is not that great and the reverb is only useful to about 9:00 (I recommend replacing the 12AX7 reverb tube with a 12AT7; it helps tame it a bit), but it's still a great little amp. I'm trying to find the right speaker for my combo.

19. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Mine arrived this afternoon. After a few minutes playing it I can say two things:

1. It can get LOUD

2. I really, really like it!

You are correct about the reverb. It sucks. (It jangles long after the note.) I may try to swap the tube as you suggest. Right now, I can't stand its sound above about 2.

But apart from that, it's got that Epi Valve tone I've become comfortable with. It's going to make a great combo (along with my 1986-ish Mesa Boogie cabinet) to take out to the jams. I can save my Epi Blues Custom for formal gigs.

[​IMG]

20. Boshizzle

Boshizzle Member

I purchased one and received about a week ago. I play it through a Marshall 4x12 loaded with WGS speakers. I really like it. It has decent clean tone and very versitile overdrive tones.

Like everyone else has pointed out, the reverb is bad. But, I think it's well worth the money. I passed up a Rebel 20 and went for the Epi VSr. and don't regret it one bit plus I saved about $350.00 in the process.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]