Epiphone WildKat, AlleyKat Owners Chime In!

Hey guys
Just picked up a used WildKat yesterday. I love this thing! I've played a Les Paul exclusively for about the last 9 years or so. The hollow body guitars were always too big, then I found a WildKat in a local music shop a few months ago and have been eyeing it ever since.

Its the transparent black finish. Really pretty.

What all have you guys done to your WildKats or AlleyKats? I'm pretty happy with it stock but I didnt know if there might be something that adds some extra "magic" to it.

Here's a quick pic of mine.

guitarfish

Silver Supporting Member
These are semi-hollows. I've had an AlleyKat for 4 years, it's a super guitar for the money. These guitars are smaller than 335s, larger than LPs.

Some of the complaints I've read others make about these is that they are neck-heavy - it's true, but not an issue to me when playing it. I've found the stock pickups and electronics to be just fine, although I did replace my switch with a Switchcraft which is a little better.

I haven't played mine much lately, but when I do it never disappoints. It's great for slide too.

BPSUL

Is the acoustic volume similar to a 335 type? I've always wanted one of these...

guitarfish

Silver Supporting Member
Acoustically, yes. But I think the Kat sound closer to an LP than a 335 when plugged in.

blueshawk1

I'd been eyeing Alleykats and Wildkats for a long time, leaning towards the Wildkat for the P90s and bigsby. I just finally got one this past summer when a local shop was closing out his Epiphones and sold me a Wildkat at cost - it was finally time to stop looking and buy.
I haven't changed anything on mine and don't have any plans to;

The store that I was at had both a Wildkat and a FlameKat. The wildkat had P90s and the flame had mini humbuckers. So I tried them out side by side. To the mini humbuckers were kinda dull sounding, where the P90s had plenty of bite to them. So I ended up with the WildKat.

guitarfish

Silver Supporting Member
It's a shame these are all discontinued now, but I guess if they don't sell well that's what happens. It appears the Swingster is the model they replaced it with. It's interesting how they'll sell Epi Dots until the cows come home, but something with a little pizzazz like the 'kats just won't sell well.

blueshawk1

I didn't know they were discontinued.
I took a look at that Swingster, guess decided to go for the Gretsch look. I like my Wildkat better.

Last edited:

guitarfish

Silver Supporting Member
My bad - the AlleyKat is discontinued, but it looks like the Wildkat is alive and well. ;)

Lennox Lewis

I just traded a MIM Tele for an Alleykat over the weekend. I absolutely LOVE it. I was worried about the build quality and pickups, but so far it's left me pleasantly suprised. I haven't been able to put it down. I'm going to flirt with new pickups and pots just because I enjoy doing that with inexpensive models, but I have to say that it sounds great stock. It seems to me a fantastic value.

guitarfish

Silver Supporting Member
When I got my AK, there were a lot of people online saying "the electronics are crap" and "they are good after a pickup swap". I didn't think there was anything bad about it, but figured these people must know what they're talking about. :dunno

I bought new pots from StewMac, along with a new switch & input jack, and did the swap. The new pots glide a little nicer, but that's it. Not one difference in tone. Besides my AK, I have a Gibson LP and two American Series Strats, so it's not like I don't have anything else to compare it to. I see no point in swapping the pickups.

It's a great guitar, especially for being so cheap. (I got mine for $400 with OHSC). It's nice to know others feel the same way!

blueshawk1

When I got my AK, there were a lot of people online saying "the electronics are crap" and "they are good after a pickup swap". I didn't think there was anything bad about it, but figured these people must know what they're talking about. :dunno
That's one thing you can NEVER listen to anyone online about, all too many of them don't know what they are talking about. Somewhere, the idea has been developed in these online forums, that stock is crap and everyone automatically buys into it.
How many times do we see it, someone orders a new guitar online, and before they've even gotten it, they're buying new pups, pots, and tuners - and they haven't even played the guitar yet! But everyone says......

Anyway, I like that picture with the cat next to the Alleykat! (That would make a cool desktop wallpaper!)

SHM

As you can see, I have a Wildcat. I've put Lollars P90 in it and a Rollerbrige. One of the best guitars I've had. Plays in tune all over the neck, look cool and sound fantastic. Can do all styles.... Great guitar!

guitarfish

Silver Supporting Member
For the longest time, I was gassing for one of these teal Wildkats to go with my AK.

blueshawk1

I was gassing for one of those teal ones too, or one of the limited edition white ones, partly why I was waiting so long to get one. But when the local shop gave me the deal on the last new one he had, I decided it was time to stop waiting for one of those.

Pedro Bogus

Had a Wildkat for a few years. The chrome P90s are the coolest looking pups. Mine would feedback a little when playing multiple amps with gain.
Only mod I did was a bone nut and potting the pups. No more feedback!

Great guitar for the money.

Trending Topics