EQ in Effects Loop or in Front

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JParry335, Jan 14, 2015.

1. JParry335

JParry335 Member

I did a search for EQ and came up empty. I suspect the answer will be "try it both ways and see what works best".
    I will do this, just curios, those of you that use graphic EQ's and have an effects loop on your amp, where do you run your EQ?
    In the Loop? In front of the amp?
    Thanks!

2. KoskineN

KoskineN Supporting Member

I have a MXR 6 bands EQ, and I prefer to use it in the fx loop of my Mesa. It's like an extra control on top of your global EQ, while when you use it in front of your amp, it still get affected by the other pedals and the amp's EQ. I guess it depends on what want to achieve.

3. nguitar12

nguitar12 Member

I always put mine at the end of the chain. Before the reverb pedal

4. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

Always the loop for me. I have a Joyo 6 band. Been thinking lately though to do both and see how it sounds. One at the end of my front chain and one in the loop.

I've read somewhere that Randy Rhoads did that quite often.

5. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

I use a Stone Deaf PDF1 parametric right at the front of my chain. I bump it about 5 dB at around 800 Hz. I like that if affects everything in my chain.

6. porticoguitar1

porticoguitar1 Member

I always liked it in the loop because it "felt" more like it was part of the amp instead of hitting the front end EQ stack in some way. I think I've always likes how the top cut worked on an AC style circuit and wanted to have the ability to alter things after the preamp into the power tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

It will have the most dramatic effect on your signal if placed in the effects loop, where it will then be affecting the tone stack and preamp tubes of the amp as well as your guitar. Ideally, since it is part of what I refer to as the "tone engine" of the rig, I would have you place it first in the amp's effects loop. Then the total affected signal (i.e., the guitar, any pedals in front of the amp, the amp's preamp, and the amp's tone stack) will be EQ'd all at once for final tone shaping. From there, the signal will go into whatever modulation effects, then reverb is last in the effects loop chain.

8. ifailedshapes

ifailedshapes Member

9. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

I inquired about this and then did it both ways as well to see which I liked. If I want to change the nature of the GUITAR itself, I like an EQ first in the front chain. If I want more control of the amp's tone (especially helpful in finicky venues), I like an EQ in the loop. More often it's in the loop, but with my rig I have both available.

And I agree with Chris above...first in the loop chain before mod/delay/reverb.

If you agree with Keeley's chain method: What Chain Of Effects Make Life Easier (Wah -> Comp -> OD -> EQ -> Mod -> Level -> Echo (Dly/Verb)), then EQ would definitely go in the loop if you're using amp OD.

Again, try both and decide.

10. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

yea I say its mainly dependant on if your getting your dirt from your amp or not. That should be your first factor, as it makes less of a difference if its in the loop or not if you use pedal dirt only.

11. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

"...it makes less of a difference if its in the loop or not if you use pedal dirt only."

It depends on the amp. Even on the clean channel, the amp's tone stack can have a dramatic effect on the total signal. The more effect the amp's tone stack has, the more difference it will make where you put the EQ. Also, there's nothing that says you can't use an EQ in both spots, i.e., immediately after the guitar (to shape the pickups' tone) and also first thing in the effects loop chain (to shape the total signal).

12. JParry335

JParry335 Member

Wow!
    Thanks to all for the input and responses. I've finally had a chance to try it both ways and in this case it seems to work better in the effects loop.
    Using dirt from the amp and just trying to tame a bit of harshness on the clean side. It's a solid state Marshall MOSFET. Don't gag! It's not that bad.
    Great crunch but the clean is kind of sterile. It's also the only amp I've ever had with an effects loop.:messedup
    It's not my main amp by any means but trying to make it work the way I like.
    Thanks again. You guys are great!