EQ Pedal recommendation?

Guitar55

Who was that masked man?
Gold Supporting Member
I need to add some more mids to my sound. I want to add an EQ pedal after my Dirty Little Secret and OCD (maybe even after my clean boost).

I've done some research and I think I want a graphic as opposed to a parametric because, even though I can't fine-tune it as much, I can more easily make changes "by sight" in a live situation.

I'd appreciate some suggestions. Also 5-band vs. 7-band vs. 10-band? And do any of them allow you to save pre-sets?

Last edited:

minty901

i dont have much of a recommendation but i will say that i have the mooer graphic eq and wasnt very impressed. i feel like the sliders barely do anything until the last 1/8th at which point they make a drastic difference. all the movement is within a tiny, tiny range. but if you have better ears than me and are looking for subtle tweaks rather than changing your overall tone then maybe it would work

demea26

I've had good success with a simple Boss GE-7 using it exactly as you described. I use it to boost the lows and low mids for the red channel on my DSL 50. I've gone as far to experiment with an MXR 10 band with gain slider (must be better, right?), but still felt the Boss did the trick. Adds a slight amount (and I mean slight) of hiss when using in a higher gain situation, but nothing that interferes with the tone IMO.

440gtx6pak

For some reason adding mids via an equalizer sounds unnatural to me (either too much or too little. I prefer the Basic Audo Peak Freq. Reminds me of an unattainable (due to cost) vintage Boss Spectrum Enhancer. Believe it or not Behringer makes a cheap clone of this rare pedal too.

indeedido

Silver Supporting Member
Starts and stops with EQD Tone Job. So simple, doesn't change your tone like a graphic eq where you move one frequency and it squashes another. And it has all the output you'd ever need, can be a clean boost too.

Geetarpicker

I like and use a recent era 6 band MXR EQ in front of my drive pedal on a loop switch. It works great in this application. I tried a Boss EQ pedal, but I found it noticeably degraded the tone even when set totally flat. I found the little MXR passed a clearer signal, and when pushing or pulling the EQ bands it works quite well even in front of a gain pedal.

KennyPatrick

Gold Supporting Member
Empress ParaEQ boost is awesome. So versital and sounds great.
I like the the VFE RocketBoost as well.
The Source Audio Programable EQ is amazing. It can cover anything.

Stratobuc

So Dave, do you use this as an "effect" or to equalize different guitars with different pickups? Or both? I'm curious, because I've never used an EQ pedal, and I switch guitars frequently during gigs.

RC2

Gold Supporting Member
The Source Audio Programable EQ sounds great and unlike most of the others doesn't need a mod to be quiet.

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
I need to add some more mids to my sound. I want to add an EQ pedal after my Dirty Little Secret and OCD (maybe even after my clean boost).

I've done some research and I think I want a graphic as opposed to a parametric because, even though I can't fine-tune it as much, I can more easily make changes "by sight" in a live situation.

I'd appreciate some suggestions. Also 5-band vs. 7-band vs. 10-band? And do any of them allow you to save pre-sets?
I would just say that my three band Fromel Shape EQ (with parametric Mids) seems easier and more intuitive and quicker to set up than either my old Boss Graphic EQ pedal or the Source Audio Graphic EQ pedal that I tried.

I turn on my amp and set its Tone controls by ear, turn on the Fromel and set all controls to noon (flat) and then tweak the Bass and Treble controls until it sounds better and then I sweep the Mids control back and forth until I find a center frequency that I like. Then, I vary the Mids volume control a bit to set it.

That takes me less than two minutes.

I can always reach down and nudge a control one way or the other should I feel the need and it's most often to shade the Bass or Treble one way or another.

With a regular Graphic EQ pedal I always felt like it afforded me a much greater opportunity to find sounds that I really didn't like.

The intuitive simplicity of the Fromel Shape EQ and VFE Rocket EQ makes them way more usable in a live situation in my book.

I'd rather change the EQ by ear than by sight.

-bEn r.

Trending Topics