EQ pedal settings?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by docgorpon, Mar 27, 2008.

1. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

I play in a metal band. I have a very high gain sound (not my usual style) through a Randall tube amp. I'm having trouble getting the leads to pop out. I've tried everything from a clean boost to an overdrive pedal. I absolutely have to have delay in the lead tone as well, and I prefer to use pedals instead of the effects loop.
    So what I am trying now is a boss EQ pedal and an MXR Carbon Copy both going through a bypass looper. They're always on, and then I hit the looper when I want them present for leads.
    I haven't given it a full run through yet. How do some of you (metal) players eq your leads?

2. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

check grailtone.com, I run mine with a frown-boosted mids

3. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

I know you don't want to, but, please, try it...put the eq in the loop where it will tweak the tone more.

4. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

I don't play metal, but I'll give my opinion.

You really should not adjust the pedal to any standard setting! Instead, play your guitar with the pedal on and raise and lower each frequency, one at a time slowly while listening carefully, and learn what each frequency does to you sound. Then try to make an adjustment that sounds good to you and play with the pedal on for a minute, then off, and compare.
    Do this procedure many, many times and you will get good at adjusting the sound to do whatever you want it to.
    Also, it is generally a good idea to try to cut frequencies rather than boost other frequencies. It's only a generalization, but boosting can add excess noise.
    I hope this helps. Any "standard setting" won't work because of all the different guitars, amps, cabs, and musical taste.

5. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

+1 .... this is what I did when first using an eq..... seems obvious for a good reason