EQ Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Matty78, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Matty78

Matty78 Member

Hey!
    Looking to replace my old Boss GE-7 that for some reason is making a lot of noise in my pedal board. It’s been in use under constant playing for over 20 years so I doesn’t owe me anything. Is there a less noisier option out there? I am a fan of the graphic eq.

Any recommendations much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Matty

2. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

XTS / Xact Tone Solutions does a fantastic mod on these. Send yours in. They take away the noise and center the frequencies for the guitar.

3. mambosun92

mambosun92 Member

I warmly recommend the Source Audio programmable EQ (very transparent, 4 custom presets) or the lastest model EQ2 which has both graphic and parametric EQ.

4. Dr. Lo

Dr. Lo Supporting Member

5. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

Free The Tone PA-1GQ. Fully Analog, 10 bands, midi, 128 presets, guitar or line level. Awesome !

[​IMG]

TheGuacamoleXplosion and middy like this.
  6. Dashface

Dashface Member

Agreed. Great pedal.

LSMFT6 likes this.
  7. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

Lower cost MXR 10 band EQ is a good pedal.

Scott57 and The-Kid like this.
  8. 71strat

71strat Member

www.modestmikesmods.com GE7 with Silencer Mod. You could also send him your pedal, and he can mod it. $50

Pete Cornish 3Q1/Boost.

9. The-Kid

The-Kid Member

This.....

Unless your prepared to go BOSS 200....

They should call it the 250$.....cuz thats how much they cost .....I guess its about 200$ after discount so 200 is a good model name :p

They are pretty dope either way. Both the MXR and BOSS.

The EQ200 is worth a look too.

10. feet

feet Supporting Member

depends if you are boosting or only cutting, if you need presets or not, if you want graphic or parametric, simple or complicated, etc

I think the zoom cdr70 is a great choice if you want something cheap, programmable, and not terribly difficult. Getting all kinds of other effects is just a fun bonus.

I don't generally prefer graphic eqs but they can be useful.

11. Riffa

Riffa Member

128 presets? I wonder if that’s enough LOL

12. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

The new Boss EQ's a STILL NOISY.
    Alchemy Audio Mod for me.

13. Matty78

Matty78 Member

Thank you all! Lots of good recommendations - I'll be doing some research during these crazy times!

14. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

I'll say it again, the XTS Midrange Graphic EQ is the bees knees. Not noisy at all and sounds incredible. They stock them modded or you can send them yours.

15. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

LOL that's the midi standard ! Four presets accessible with the pedal switch alone and 128 via midi or rotary encoder. Cool thing about the pedal is that each slider and the output level can be moved with an expression pedal (using midi CC). For example you can control the output level and use it as a volume pedal. No zipper noise, no hiss, super transparent. With the pedal engaged and all sliders reset, I cannot hear a difference with the bypass sound (in the loop of the amp).

TheGuacamoleXplosion and Riffa like this.
  16. Riffa

Riffa Member

Now that’s very cool!

17. bikeracr

bikeracr Supporting Member

AnalogMan also does a GE-7 mod. I love mine, but would like to try the new Source Audio one or the new EQ-200.

The-Kid likes this.
  18. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Member

just got a Chase Bliss Condor. Great programmable EQ. Similar price range as the Free The Tone PA-1GQ; and similarily, too, the audio path is fully analog, but you get MIDI and presets (2 on the pedal and 122 via MIDI, in this case). Other than the PA-1GQ, the Condor is a parametric EQ. Low band shelving with three switchable Qs. Mid band full parametric with frequency, cut/boost and three switchable Qs. High band is not a typical shelving eq, but a Low Pass Filter (as on a synth) with 3 switchable Qs.
    The great thing about the Condor is its versatility: You can use it as a clean boost. There’s also a built-in switchable overdrive. With an expression pedal, you can use it as a wah. There’s also a LFO-ish function that lets you create tremolo, harmonic tremolo and autowah sounds.
    Downsides:
    • It has the typical, not really user friendly dip switches for setting stuff like expression pedal, bounce (LFO) and ramping
    • there seems to be bugs in MIDI expression implementation: When you bypass and then unbypass the current preset, MIDI expression stops working on my Condor (while a expression pedal connected directly to the Condor will continue working)
    • also, MIDI expression seems to have a hefty processing lag, so it’s not really possible to have fast wah wah action with a MIDI expression pedal