EQ pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wingwalker, Aug 3, 2008.

1. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Im not at all interested in a graphic EQ but is there another way I can add tonal flexibility to an amp with a single tone control???

2. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

Barber Barb EQ.

[​IMG]

The little mini-toggle switches the tone stack between Fender Blackface, tweed and Marshall.

Cool little box. This particular one just went on ebay for $88 + shipping (not mine).

3. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Thanks!

I was hoping this pedal would get brought up but is it my only option???

Do you have one?? Like it???

4. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

I used to have one. It worked great with my Pro Jr (single volume and tone knob). I sold it when I sold the amp.

Now I'm back in the same boat with a tweed champ (single volume and no tone knob). I'm looking at these again, but also considering picking up a graphic eq. I love the sound of the champ by itself, but would like a little more flexibility when I use overdrive / higher gain pedals.

5. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

The BarbEQ is a fantastic pedal. Probably one of the best pedal purchases I have made. I have 3 amps that only have a single tone control and this box has been an amazing tool in helping me get the most out of my amps.
    I have heard good things about the Morning Dew and Sea Blue, ut they are both pretty rare and pricey.

6. socal63

socal63 Member

i got one on its way in myself...

yay! :banana

7. jimmycupo

jimmycupo Member

the morning dew is really awesome, i don't play without it now! a real shame it's not in production anymore.

8. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Thanks guys, maybe the Barber unit is the answer...My 3 most used amps all have just a single tone control and it seems nearly impossible to set it up with whatever dirt box I want to use and be able to switch guitars...if the Les Paul sounds good the Strat doesn't but if I set it for the Strat the LP sucks...

Im hoping to set it up so that I can kick it in with different guitars and make the amp/pedal/guitar combos more useable...

9. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

The 3 eq settings are also really good. I use all of them. I leave this pedal on all the time. There is definately something missing when I turn it off.
    My little 5 watt Prince Royale sounds alot bigger when I use the BEQ with it. And it's only got an 8" speaker. All my dirt boxes have so much more depth to the sound too.

10. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I love the Barb EQ with my Clark Gullah combo (basically a loud 15W 6L6 Tweed Champ with a single 12"). The amp only has one tone control and the Barber EQ gives such improved tone and tonal flexibility that I never turn the pedal off. I know it's a great amp but I could never quite get the tone where I wanted it just going straight in ....plus I switch between a Tele, a Gretsch and a PRS w/ P90's so it's handy being able to tweak the Treble, Middle and Bass quickly.

Basically, the Barb EQ switches between Marshall, Fender Tweed and Fender Blackface tone stacks and the Mid knob pulls up to get more of a Voxey chime.

-bEn r.

11. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Ok guys...I went this past weekend to try a Barb EQ and had no luck finding one but since then I've started thinking about the Varioboost...any thoughts on this little gem???