EQ placement in FOH sound

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I’m running sound for a friend’s band this weekend. I’ll be using their system.

They don’t have an EQ for their mains so I’m bringing my DBX dual 15 band.

They run a single powered sub and connect two powered mains to the sub. The sub has a crossover.

Should I place the EQ before the sub and mains or after the sub and before the mains?

Floyd Eye

I’m running sound for a friend’s band this weekend. I’ll be using their system.

They don’t have an EQ for their mains so I’m bringing my DBX dual 15 band.

They run a single powered sub and connect two powered mains to the sub. The sub has a crossover.

Should I place the EQ before the sub and mains or after the sub and before the mains?

Are you sure you need GEQ for the FOH? I think I would want to route it different and use one channel for tops and one for subs. I guess it depends on the mixer though.

Rex Anderson

EQ should not be necessary for subs, crossover should handle what it gets fed, i.e. low pass to 80 Hz so it rolls off above that. I like a band pass filter on subs, cut below 20Hz for protection, roll off above whatever frequency I need to integrate with the mains.

2 channel EQ could do mains and monitors if mains are mono and you have monitors.

In this case, you have EQ for feedback control at the very least.

Last edited:

Floyd Eye

I didn't bring up monitors because HoboMan definitely understands what we are laying down about EQ on monitors so I assume this is a PA behind you thing or some other situation without monitors.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I didn't bring up monitors because HoboMan definitely understands what we are laying down about EQ on monitors so I assume this is a PA behind you thing or some other situation without monitors.

There will be powered monitors. You're probably suggesting that I use the EQ on the monitors.

The guy that owns the PA had mentioned that he was looking into buying an EQ for his mains and I mentioned that I had one and he asked if I could bring it.

Do you guys use an EQ on your mains? When I run sound with my PA I use the graphic EQ on the board to EQ my mains.

I also play guitar in another band with him and have done a couple of gigs with the PA and it sounded good as it.

He's got a Behringer xenyx x2442usb mixing board, two rcf 12" powered mains, rcf powered sub, 2 ev 12" powered monitors. I'll probably bring one of my powered monitors also.

He said that he runs the left & right outs for the mains to the sub and from there connect the powered mains.

Floyd Eye

I only use EQ on FOH because I have LS801Ps and they need a couple small tweaks to clean them up. I have a channel on the tops but I rarely have it on. I can't find anything wrong with the DSR12s straight to the board. I have 4 channels of 15 band on my monitor mixes though. If I could only have GEQ in one place it would definitely be on the monitors.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I only use EQ on FOH because I have LS801Ps and they need a couple small tweaks to clean them up. I have a channel on the tops but I rarely have it on. I can't find anything wrong with the DSR12s straight to the board. I have 4 channels of 15 band on my monitor mixes though. If I could only have GEQ in one place it would definitely be on the monitors.

The couple of times I've gigged with these guys (I also play guitar with them in another band) the FOH sounded great to me. I didn't think it needed an EQ but the bassist (PA owner) asked me to bring mine so I will probably go ahead and use them on the monitors.

It's about time I put this EQ to some use.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member

after the board, before all the speakers.

if you're lucky you won't need it.

if you do need it, ideally you'll be knocking down a couple different problem zones a little but leaving it flat otherwise.

Rex Anderson

if you're lucky you won't need it. f you do need it, ideally you'll be knocking down a couple different problem zones a little but leaving it flat otherwise.

After thinking about it, I like Walter's approach and retract my previous post (no EQ necessary for the subs).

If you have EQ on the mains, including the subs, you can smooth out low end bumps that may be in the subs frequency range.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member

if you're lucky you won't need it.

if you do need it, ideally you'll be knocking down a couple different problem zones a little but leaving it flat otherwise.

This is originally what I was thinking but wanted to get other opinions on this. I wasn't sure if an EQ on the Subs was necessary but this seemed like the easiest way to do it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom