EQ with Presets

Dave Wakely

Advice on pedal suggestions please!

I'm playing in a Jazz/Latin band, and making use of a newly acquired EHX Key9 pedal (we're just gtr, bs + drms, so variety is the spice of life). Loving the sounds it helps me produce, but it does require very different EQ settings to avoid sounding very dark. Which is fine till I switch to guitar sounds, when suddenly I'm uber bright and twangy (I have a Buss EQ after the EHX at the moment, but am running the amp at far brighter tone than usual even with it off to get sounds I like via the Key9). To save pedal real estate - and hitting multiple fottswitches simultaneously (as I only have the regular number of feet) - any recommendations on an EQ with multiple presets so I could simply switch between settings?

(Or alternative solutions from those using an Key9 already!!)

AgusAD

Loop pedal.
You EQ the amp for the guitar tone.
You EQ the pedal for the Key9 tone.
You put the Key9 and the EQ on the loop.

One stomp and that's it.
Is it feasible?

DaveKS

Loop pedal.
You EQ the amp for the guitar tone.
You EQ the pedal for the Key9 tone.
You put the Key9 and the EQ on the loop.

One stomp and that's it.
Is it feasible?

This really is best way, you can add whatever you want to that loop chain. Add a DOD 250 in there for good measure, for when you want to get a little dirty.

Last edited:

Black_Label

Silver Supporting Member
Besides the Source Audio EQ, there's also the out of production Boss EQ-20. Another option is getting a couple of GE-7s and setting them each separately.

I've said it for years - midi programmable EQ is a glaring hole in the market. Right now, the Source Audio is pretty much the only game in town and it's really pretty limited. I'd love to see Strymon (or anyone, really) make a big box EQ/distortion/comp pedal. If they took the Riverside, combined it with the OB.1 and added a multiband/parametric EQ with MIDI presets, I'd be all over that pedal!

Dave Wakely

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments - much appreciated. I think the Source Audio is the solution for me (and I love the bonus of its unique faux-tremolo option): from experimenting with the Key9, the tracking deteriorates if you have anything in front of it except a compressor - I tried in a loop with an Enveloop and it wasn't at all happy. And yes, a programmable EQ with more presets would be nice... but we're in TGP land, where every year brings new pedals to blow our cash on :)

rsmith601

Vendor
Every pedal we create these days has a 5 band stereo parametric EQ built in as a standard built in feature. When used with the Hub, you get 128 presets and MIDI.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom