EQD Arrows vs Durham Sex Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by electricity17, Feb 21, 2015.

1. electricity17

electricity17 Supporting Member

Has anyone compared the Earthquaker Devices Arrows with a Durham Sex Drive? How similar are they?

I've been using a Rangemaster pedal with a range knob as a boost for solos, I like it but I'm curious to try something more transparent and see how that works. It doesn't have to be totally neutral, something with a little bit of sparkle/treble or small amount of grit will be cool. I'm running non-master volume amps loud and distorted (Satellite Atom or Fender Pro Jr. depending on size of venue, also an AC30 for the studio), so this would be a pedal to get a volume boost for solos and push the amp harder. Thanks for the help!

2. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

Haven't tried the EQD but can vouch for the Sex Drive - awesome booster at end of chain - it brings out the best in all the dirt before it - a magic little box.

3. youandme

youandme Gold Supporting Member

I just received a Durham sex drive(big box) after going through many many clean boosts to place after my dirt pedals....I have been searching for a pedal that can get as close as possible to the fulltone supa trem with the mix totally down because it is my favorite clean boost so far... The sex drive is the closest so far and is just an awsome awsome pedal...its transparent but has a ton of options between the gain,volume,tone and three way compression switch... It is by far my favorite clean boost of them all...I haven't tried the eqd yet but I have been through a lot,to name a few- katana,Klones,kot,timmy,sho,fat boost,diamond,xotic rc and ep,and probably a few more that I can't remember... I say go for it... Perfect in front of a dirty amp or a clean amp,works incredibly as a boost after dirt pedals(doesn't get mushy or change the initial source),great buffer and works equally well with humbuckers or single coils... So,yeah,get it... :)

4. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

The Arrows gets awesome reviews and is really cheap. I've seen used ones go for $75ish

5. electricity17

electricity17 Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies, sounds like the Sex Drive might be the way to go, the buffer sounds like a plus. I just got a Gibson 333 and it's on the edge of being too dark with the Satellite amp, I've got the tone control almost full clockwise.