EQD Dispatch Master Design Flaw?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rohit, Apr 19, 2015.

1. rohit

rohit Member

I play though a non-reverb amp and was looking for reverb+delay pedal. Of the few that I found the EQD Dispatch Master was most to my liking - good tone and in a small MXR-sized box.
    But there was just one problem - when you turn switch the pedal off you end up switching both effects off!
    I wish the guys at EQD had designed it in such a way that the reverb was always on and one only needed to turn the pedal on for delay. And to turn the reverb off, just turn the reverb knob down to 0.
    I know this would mean that the pedal won't be true bypass but if it's an always on effect like how I described it, one can always compensate for any tonal changes with the amp's EQ.
    Alas, for this reason, I won't be buying the Dispatch Master, even though the tones are so sweet.
    Anybody else ever feel the same?

2. hereandgone18

hereandgone18 Member

I'm not sure that it's fair to call it a design flaw. It's not meant to be a "reverb pedal" and a "delay pedal", it's meant to be a "reverb & delay pedal", if that makes sense. EQD has already released independent reverb and delay boxes.

With that said, a Dispatch Master Sr. with independent delay/reverb controls and switches would be pretty rad...

3. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

It would be cool if they put in a soft-touch switch, where a press and hold would switch the delay on or off (a la Neunaber dual-function switching)...Maybe a future version.

4. thesooze

thesooze Member

5. rohit

rohit Member

I agree with you. "Design flaw" was just the best term I could come up with at that moment.
    But think about it, I mean, reverb is something you'd want on all the time. Delay is usually not.
    I understand what you mean by a "reverb & delay pedal" but it would be so much more useful if the reverb was independent.

6. sleewell

sleewell Member

I love my dispatch master and would hate that feature.

7. UrbanHymns

UrbanHymns Supporting Member

This is not a design flaw. If you want separate reverb + delay options in one pedal, get a Line 6 M5. I love my Dispatch Master as it is.

8. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Reverb is very much something I would not want on all the time. Then it is no longer an effect.

But I must admit, a DM Sr with would be awesome, and probably would be/is called Distaster Trasport Sr... And includes modulation control.

9. nullin

nullin Member

+1

I fixed that for you. I realize you have your own specific gear needs (I know how that goes), but you seem to be in the minority here, which explains why the pedal is designed the way it is.

10. rohit

rohit Member

That's quite possible. I guess one reason why I feel the need to have reverb on at all times is because I'm mostly a bedroom player. The few times I've played out, I didn't feel the need for amp/pedal reverb. So that might be.
    But wouldn't that design just make it more versatile? Reverb on all the time and if you don't want it, turn it down to 0 like you would on an amp and turn the pedal on for delay. That's all I'm saying.
    But you're right. I was just thinking out loud. It's still an excellent delay/reverb.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I get where you're coming from. For me, I'd have my reverb on regularly but use delay occasionally. But for someone who has opposite needs, the Dispatch Master is perfectly designed.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  11. rohit

rohit Member

I know. I'll admit, I have no knowledge of circuits. I was just assuming that it's possible to design it in a way that the reverb is on at all times (without the pedal being on) and if one needs to turn the reverb off, all you gotta do is turn the reverb knob down to zero, like you would on an amp.
    I honestly don't know if it's possible. Just thought it would make it so much more versatile.

12. miklet

miklet Member

I don't own it but the Coldcraft Echoverberator has the always on reverb feature.

13. liordino

liordino Member

14. rohit

rohit Member

I checked out the EchoVerberator and that was exactly what I was talking about! Thanks guys.

15. wookiefoot

wookiefoot Gold Supporting Member

I've played the Coldcraft EchoVerberator a few times and am really impressed by that pedal. Really easy to dial in great sounds with it.

16. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

I wouldn't consider it a design flaw at all.. it's not meant to be an independent reverb or delay. It's got it's own sound... Some folks, like me, don't really use reverb.. So this is a cool option.

17. coltonius

coltonius SeƱor Member Silver Supporting Member

It sounds like you're after 2 different pedals. The only pedals I know of that are 'always on' are Cusack's Mini line; but even those are designed to be in a TB Loop system. Definitely not fair to call it a design flaw- but I read above that you realize that, so we're all good. ;)

18. rohit

rohit Member

No that's not exactly what I meant by always on. A couple of guys posted about the Coldcraft Echoverberator earlier in the thread. That's exactly what I was talking about. It's pretty cool really.

19. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Here is a possible alternative.
    The Disp. mast. is a great unit.

[​IMG]