EQD Ghost Echo for metal atmosphere?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slicepaperdavid, Apr 4, 2015.

1. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

Anyone use an Earthquaker Devices Ghost Echo with heavy distortion? How does is it sounds for rhythm and can it enhance and add depth to your base tone and not "get in the way"? I like the idea of using one as an always on pedal to drench my sound in atmosphere, but I dont want a washed out or messy sound.

2. Billy Idle

Billy Idle Member

It's more like a cross between slapback and reverb, not a pure reverb. Sounds great with dirt!
    But there will always be at least one repeat. Less audible with dirt though.

3. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

I've used the big-box Ghost for a few years now. It's a "spring" reverb sim, but not your usual built-in Fender amp reverb. Instead, it cops the longer attack decay (sounds like short slapback) of the old long-spring studio reverb units from the '60s-70s being shown a fairly hot signal and mixed wet. You can still dial in a short 'verb, but it's capable of more than that.

Whether that's what you want with high gain... tough to say, there are a lot of factors including where it sits in the chain relative to clipping stages, how warm/midrangy your speakers are, and your picking technique. EQD references picking style in the product lit for the Ghost, and it's important ime.

4. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

It's definitely a slapback style, you will get the one repeat. I've always thought of it as a classic style verb, probably because of the belton brick in it. Probably the perfect verb for metal solo's when you think about it.

5. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

If you're using dirt pedals - it's great.
    If you're using the dirty channel of an amp - it depends. If you're playing long sustaining chords (doom style) it's fantastic. If you're doing some faster metal style riffs, it's pointless, and will probably muddy up the sound.

It's a very subtle verb, which is great because it doesn't overdo it and make the effect useless.

6. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

Im using pedal dirt and it will be for long sustaining chords, thank you for the advice!

7. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Oh yea, it's killer for that. Enjoy it!

8. bobcunningham

bobcunningham Member

Should sound great. I use an EQD Dream Crusher into an always-on Dispatch Master for my metal band.

9. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

Great info, thanks!

10. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

I'm sold. Ordered one! I think it will sound dreamy after the Echorec setting on my TC Alter Ego and will be staying on at all times with some strategic use of the attack knob. Hoping to cop some sorrowful sounds and foggy ancient atmosphere