EQD Hoof vs. SUF Civil Unrest

sab2208

I am in the market for a new big muff with mids control and have narrowed it down to the Earthquaker Devices Hoof and Stomp Under Foot Civil Unrest. I currently own a Blackout Effectors Musket V2 which I really like. However, I like my drive and fuzz pedals to be as simple as possible, and the Musket has 6 knobs for lots of tweaking. I like the idea of the Hoof and Civil Unrest having less knobs while still having control over the mids. There are a lot of Hoof videos online, but I've only found one video of the Civil Unrest on youtube.

Can anyone who has experience with these pedals recommend one over the other?

Thanks!

JonathanGes

The hoof is incredible.
Extremely powerful stuff :)
Super versatile for a muff really, tone knob can go from bassy and wooly to almost painfully bright. The shift knob helps to further shape the sound.

Get it.

freddy_von

If you're after a mids controlled Muff, have you checked out the Magic Pedals Shrine Fuzz?
Looks pretty good.

mysterious1s

I am also interested as both of these pedals are on my radar.

You should consider adding the Basic Audio Tri/Ram to your list. Has only 4 knobs including mid control. I currently have one and it is a killer muff.

bobcunningham

I've only used the Hoof (extensively, btw).

But in saying this, if you like the Musket, keep it. Just exercise a little self-control when it comes to knob fiddling.

sab2208

I am also interested as both of these pedals are on my radar.

You should consider adding the Basic Audio Tri/Ram to your list. Has only 4 knobs including mid control. I currently have one and it is a killer muff.
I looked into the Tri/Ram, but ultimately ruled it out. My understanding is that its mid control goes from scooped to flat mids - please correct me if I am wrong. I am looking for a Muff that can go beyond flat mids and give a bit of a mid hump, as I play in a very dense band and need the mids to cut through at times.

dcam1934

My muff quest ended with Mojo Hand's Colossus... Phenomenal pedal with the right texture and helpful controls.

fieldsroyal

LOVED the 3 knob Hoof and foolishly sold it - I had a musket as part of the Twosome so I kept it but truth be told I preferred the Hoof over the Musket.

FuzzFaceJ

let me tell you about these pedals!!!

I have owned both, and still have the Civil Unrest. I got rid of the Hoof a bit ago, but my cousin has one and I've plugged them both in together. The Hoof is great, with a wide range of tones, but it was a bit too polite for me. I could not get it nasty enough for my tastes. The Civil Unrest can be smooth or nasty, it can even get around Triangle-ish tones.

I'm honestly pleased to see a thread about it, as I got mine a couple of months ago and it's only #31!!!! So, more people need to know about this thing.

I've actually tried many of the muffs out there with mids controls. Colossus, Hoof, Musket, etc.

The Civil Unrest also has the most clarity and volume of any muff I've used. It has the best cleanup out of any muff I've ever used. The Mids control can take you from super scooped beyond most muffs to boosted mids. It seems to be a specially voiced mids control that focuses on the hi-mids, aka the CUT frequencies. I was able to dial it to sound exactly like a Box of War I had. It can even get plexi tones, though it wasn't designed for that. Honestly, I think it'll make you want to get rid of your Musket. Yea, it has less controls, but I feel it's just as versatile. (I actually owned the Musket twice)

I gotta warn you though, Matt is a pleasure to deal with and after you try the Civil Unrest, you'll probably want a Red Menace too! I know I do, I feel it'll end my muff search. I actually had a Wren and Cuff Caprid, Box of War and Tri Pie 70 before too.

in summary, my post is jumbled and hard to read, but hopefully enlightening! I obviously recommend the Civil Unrest!

I can record you a demo if you'd like :)

Johnnyboi

I have owned both, and still have the Civil Unrest. I got rid of the Hoof a bit ago, but my cousin has one and I've plugged them both in together. The Hoof is great, with a wide range of tones, but it was a bit too polite for me. I could not get it nasty enough for my tastes. The Civil Unrest can be smooth or nasty, it can even get around Triangle-ish tones.

I'm honestly pleased to see a thread about it, as I got mine a couple of months ago and it's only #31!!!! So, more people need to know about this thing.

I've actually tried many of the muffs out there with mids controls. Colossus, Hoof, Musket, etc.

The Civil Unrest also has the most clarity and volume of any muff I've used. It has the best cleanup out of any muff I've ever used. The Mids control can take you from super scooped beyond most muffs to boosted mids. It seems to be a specially voiced mids control that focuses on the hi-mids, aka the CUT frequencies. I was able to dial it to sound exactly like a Box of War I had. It can even get plexi tones, though it wasn't designed for that. Honestly, I think it'll make you want to get rid of your Musket. Yea, it has less controls, but I feel it's just as versatile. (I actually owned the Musket twice)

I gotta warn you though, Matt is a pleasure to deal with and after you try the Civil Unrest, you'll probably want a Red Menace too! I know I do, I feel it'll end my muff search. I actually had a Wren and Cuff Caprid, Box of War and Tri Pie 70 before too.

in summary, my post is jumbled and hard to read, but hopefully enlightening! I obviously recommend the Civil Unrest!

I'd love a demo :) you're not far from me getting this pedal!

ModifiedSound

Resurrection. Its 2018 and I'm torn between these two. Muff for rhythm with clarity on 7ths and 9ths. Also not ridiculously priced.

ModifiedSound

Did you ever get a red menace? Which did you like more if so?

Trending Topics