EQD Sea Machine V2?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by petty1818, May 30, 2015.

1. petty1818

petty1818 Member

Has anybody had a chance to try the new Sea Machine chorus from EQD? I am thinking of giving one a try for my smaller pedalboard but I have always associated EQD with whacky sounds so I am not sure if it will be overkill. The reviews that I have read always mention that the pedal excels at more extreme/creative tones. It makes me wonder how good the chorus tones are or if this pedal is more for over the top tones?

Anyway, I know the pedal is an analog/digital hybrid but I am wondering what this means? Are the controls digital and the tone analog or is it more of a digital tone? Also, in the demoes that I have heard, the chorus seems to be bright. Does this seem to be the case with the Sea Machine? I am just wondering how versatile it is. If I can get TC SCF and CE-1 tones than I am set.

2. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

The Sea Machine does a lot of subtle tones, don't worry about it doing crazy. It does crazy too, but it's all very controllable. It does some excellent standard chorus and vibrato tones.

It's more of a digital tone IMO compared to a full analog chorus. It's brighter and has more clarity. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily. I personally love that warm character I get from analog chorus/vibrato pedals. But if you're looking for more clarity and cut, the Sea Machine is a great option. It isn't so bright to the point that's its like clearly digital or something.. But it's missing that analog warmth IMO.

3. petty1818

petty1818 Member

Thanks for the reply! I definitely love that analog warmth but I find that with analog also comes noise. Also, one of my favourite chorus pedals is the TC SCF. Although it's analog, it's more hi-fi than most analog chorus pedals that I have tried and I kind of like that. I might give the Sea Machine a try. I also have the Moog Minifooger chorus and Providence anadime on my list but the Sea Machine is in the lead.

4. Strat87

Strat87 Member

I just got a my Sea Machine V2 a few days ago. While it definitely retains it's clarity I wouldn't say it sounds overtly bright or digital sounding. There are a LOT of tones in that little box, and it really does everything from subtle chorus to borderline unusable noise effects. I've only scratched the surface but it will be a permanent fixture on my board. Also do yourself a favor and keep the insert that explains the controls handy as its definitely more involved than your traditional chorus pedal.

Pao and kor like this.
  5. mikespe

mikespe Member

Hey I just got this pedal and found this thread...has anyone noticed the pedal hissing? For whatever reason mine is NOT a quiet pedal when the guitar volume is turned off

6. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I agree.

7. kor

kor Member

Mine is dead quite.

I couldn't have said it better.

8. papersoul

papersoul Member

It is crazy how with chorus I prefer analog for the thickness and warmth, but with delay, digital is just as warm and full as any analog these days. That is, assuming it is voiced to sound and feel analog.

Thanks...