Equalizer pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by beatlenut, Jun 28, 2006.

1. beatlenut

beatlenut Member

I'm thinking of adding an equalizer pedal to my board. Is the Boss GE-7 any good?

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Hey man,

The Boss GE-7 is okay, but a lot of people say it adds unacceptable amounts of noise. You can mod it, the most popular mod being the sniper mod from Tone Jam, which turns it into a first rate EQ pedal.

Personally, I am all for the Boss EQ-20. It has none of the issues of the GE-7, and nine freakin memory slots, which are incredibly useful. You can also buy one for cheaper than a brand new sniper modded GE-7.

Folks on this board love the boutique shelving EQs, the Sea Blue and Morning Dew EQs, for quality and ease of use. They will cost you a bit more, though. I'm sure there'll be no shortage of peeps chiming in on this issue!

3. beatlenut

beatlenut Member

I don't want noise, but I think the twin pedal would be overkill. I want to keep it under $75 used if at all possible. I found a twin pedal for $95 shipped which seemed too high to me.

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

$95 is a great price for an excellent EQ.

The GE-7 will give you noise. The sniper mod costs $50 or $25 for DIY. To buy a pedal already modded by tonejam will cost you $150. I doubt you can get one for under 75, even on ebay, though you can certainly try.

Another choice is the Danelectro Fish and Chips. A lot of people on guitargeek seem to like it, and it's cheap. Give that a whirl

5. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I read somewhere (the CS Jones dan-o thread?) that the fish and chips eq was essentially the same as the sniper mod'd ge-7, albeit in cheaper, more flimsy housing. How true that is, I don't know. But I think the dan-o f&c eq is around $30. You might try that, and if it works then you're done. If you don't like it, you could easily sell it without much loss of $.

6. sandman

sandman Member

It depends on how you use it.Got a stock GE-7 recently and it's not noisy - for how I use it. A lot of folks favor the Dano...

7. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

I have a DOD FX40-B...no noise whatsoever and more powerful than the Boss...and WAY cheaper-

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

Any light on this??????
    sounds interesting

9. Thorr

Thorr Member

I absolutely love my GE-7. It has the Sniper mod from Tone-Jam, and it is the an absolutely essential part of my rig. No matter how many boutiques i acquire i will never get rid of this pedal. It still does have a little noise after the sniper mod, but i have a ISP decimator (not just because of the noise from the GE-7 but from my amp and extended signal chain) and it completely rids my amp of all its noise. I play through a Framus Cobra which is a relatively noisy extrmely high gain amp.

Best wishes,

_Will

10. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

OK, the sniper isn't mentioned by name, but he's talking about a modded ge-7.

I must say though that I've owned Kevin's (ToneJam) modded ge-7, and it's a really really great eq pedal. I honestly don't know how the fish & chips stacks up to it.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

Grego7,

since I don't own a GE-7, stock or modded, maybe you can stop by Guitar Center or any other shop and try out the F'n'S and come back with your opinion, I know this can be too much to ask, I really don't expect you to do this since I don't know your time limitations and your willingness, anyway, just wanted to thank you for the info, I'll take it in consideration when I decide to buy myself an EQ pedal (soon I hope)

12. EL35

EL35 Member

Any chance that the GE7 has been updated over the years? I have a '05 GE7, and it doesn't add noise at all... well, maybe my old Marshall is already so noisy that I don't notice it at all, but well... I recommend it, test-drive it at the music store and judge yourself!

13. asdf

asdf Member

I bought the Dano Fish and Chips after reading that bit of info that Clay posted and have been pretty happy with it. It does exactly what I want it to, doesn't seem to have too much noise, and is dirt cheap. No, the quality isn't great. However, if you have a friend at GC you might be able to get their warranty which basically says that if it breaks down they'll replace it for free- I think it lasts for about a year. An EQ is great at just adding a little something extra, and the Dano does that well. For $30, you can't really go wrong.

14. Electric I

Electric I Member

Have a Carl Martin para eq & a Dano F&C & dig 'em both.

When used, the Dano is on all the time usually sitting atop something, so I don't really worry about it's durability.

Cheers

15. braughwd

braughwd Member

You could just rehouse the F&C and replace the switch. You'd get a better EQ and it costs under half the price of a GE-7 still.

16. HitTheCity

HitTheCity Member

I've read that the graphic EQ type pedals can introduce weird phase effects to you tone because of the gaps between the EQ bands. That's why many people prefer the parametric style EQs that don't suffer from this problem.

Can't say I've noticed this myself, but as I said, I've read this quite a few times on these forums.

17. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

MXR M-108 is a nice one. Picked one up for my acoustic rig. Nice, quiet. Might poick up an extra one for my electric rig.

Brett

18. Sol

Sol Member

It's not cheap, but the Carl Martin 3 band Para EQ Preamp really is so good.
    It's desighned for acoustic stuff really, but the range of subtle, or not so, as your mood takesyou, and I use it with my electric setup frequently.

I tried it recently at the end of the chain of effects and was surprised at just how quiet it really was, quieter infact than going stright to the amp with no effects !
    Havent worked that one out yet though:p

I have an old Ibanez 10 series 7 band eq , and between the two units I can get an awful lot of tone shaping going on, great in the studio where you dont want to change your amp/effects/modulation settings.

Thought I'd mention it, as I've been messing in this area lately.:crazy

19. KCWM

KCWM Member

I used to have a GE-7 but got rid of it.

I just received the DOD FX40 I won off of ebay (for a little over 20 bucks shipped). If that doesn't work, I will buy a fish and chips.

What about the MXR EQ pedals?