Equivalency table for Chinese tubes (TAD, Ruby, Preferred etc)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TJT79, Apr 25, 2016.

1. TJT79

TJT79 Member

I've been looking at new tubes and it's pretty confusing with all the rebranded Chinese tubes. I want to compile a definitive list of which are the same. Please don't post unless you're sure!

Here's what I mean:

Ruby 12AX7AC7 HG+ = TAD 7025s = Preferred 7025
    (Source: Dougs Tubes)

I'm interested in EL34s too. Is the Ruby EL34BSTR the same as TAD EL34B STR? What is the Ruby EL34 BHT?

Cheers

2. TJT79

TJT79 Member

3. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I got some similar info from
    Doug's Tubes awhile ago. I will try to locate it.

4. am-audio

am-audio Member

Here's that newest chinese 12ax7 variant in rather generic packaging for a nice price. I can't say with 100% certainty that it's the exact same but my eyes and rather critical ears say so. I've had the ruby version. I bought 5 or so last time I ordered from AES and they didn't disappoint.
    https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/T-7025-CHINA
    As far as the el34b goes the ruby and and tad are the same thing, valve art seems like the same tube to me, smoked a few more of those but that might just have been a bad luck or bad batch situation, stuff happens. The BHT is a little different and seems to be a ruby exclusive.....for the moment. Those deals never seem to last.

5. TJT79

TJT79 Member

Yeah, apart from taking higher voltage, I am trying to figure out the difference between the Ruby EL34B STR and BHT versions.

Thanks

6. kwd1987

kwd1987 Member

Anyone ever have an answer on ruby EL34B STR vs TAD version?

7. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

And the Gold Lion short-plate/ plain pin. I love those Shuguang 7025s as I believe they're called officially by them; the "Mullard type". Nice and smooth, good gain, a bit flat in the mids but non of that spike of earlier toolings. Great value for the price, though perhaps not as complex as the Gold Lion LP.
    I understand that the innards are quite different and there's supposed to be a certain bold edge to the BHT. As is the case with their MSTR version of the Shuguang 6L6 there's an obvious kinship in tone, but they do sound a bit different from oneanother.
    The TAD is said to be an STR unique onto them. Evil rumours have it that 'STR' boils down to gold grid wire only. Usually TAD's STRs can't be had from anyone else but them - as with their 6L6 designs for instance - and I haven't found a good way to pose the question to them on what makes their EL34 unique in this regard.

8. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

Each to hsi own....I have never heard a Chinese 12AX7 that I would run in an audio amp of any kind. dull, flat and non-musical imho. I keep giving them an ear for over 20 years, but I hear nothing good yet.

9. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I have some Marshall-labeled Chinese 12AX7s that came in my DSL 50. I pulled them and used them in a different Marshall and they soudn fantastic. They have to be close to 15 yrs. old.

Ilduce likes this.
  10. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

tube companies (by that I mean rebranders) dont only buy 1 type. they buy based on what they get the best deal on/ whatever seems the best quality at the time at that market.

there can never be a definitive/ accurate list.

11. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

But in this case they are based on the same platform courtesy of Shuguang, are they not? And it seems that at least some of them are STRs.

12. TEPR

TEPR Member

But, given how few factories are actually making 'em now, couldn't we still figure it out?