Eric Clap-Tone ! fuzz ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Pat Therien, May 2, 2017.

1. Pat Therien

Pat Therien Member

he definetly not use a fuzz face and even less the myth of the rangemaster lol
    Clapton doesn't use effects but just a wha . He gets that fuzzy overdrive with his active pickups and his signature amp cranked to max

I pretty much know what he use, i'm more trying to get that caracteristic fuzzy overdrive tone with a pedal ..

I'm gonna look for a tweed pedal ,as the others mentioned but theres a good price on a KEELEY JAVA BOOST
    Anyone knows if that would be a good pedal to get that kind of tone ?

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  2. Herb Utsmelz

Herb Utsmelz 'Tis what 'tis Supporting Member

In my experience, treble boosters do more of the "cocked wah", overly middy sound or just boost other frequencies if you have one that's capable like the Keeley and a few others. I would steer clear of them and recommend more of a fuzz that borderlines OD. A few that come to mind are the Basic Audio Futureman, Analogman Astro Tone, and the Bearfoot Pink Purple Fuzz. On the other hand, some of the tweed pedals can get pretty fuzzy when they are cranked up which you may find to be what you're looking for. I know the Catalinbread Formula 5 gets pretty ratty when cranked.

Pat Therien likes this.
  3. FuzzyAce

FuzzyAce Member

Fwiw, in that above video he doesn't appear to be using 'active' pickups, but rather the Noiseless fenders. The mid boost etc would be active though. Also, it's clear that he's using his amp for dirt, but the fuzz face recommendations are still legit to get a similar tone (without having to crank a tweed twin), especially with guitar volume control. A lot of pedals to choose from, and many would get close enough.

4. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

Try this, about 28 seconds in. I know your not looking for a Marshall tone, but I think the Clapton tone your looking for is there in a $40 pedal.

Joyo British Sound.

5. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

He might not be running through the Fender at all in that clip, that might just be Marshall>leslie

6. scotty31

scotty31 Member

For a long time, and its not really the pedal for clapton imo.
    This may sound a little odd, but the Catalinbread WIIO will get you this tone. Ive only played the first run of it, so maybe try hunt one down, but the other models shouldn't be too different.
    They don't have a lot of gain, but they do have that raucous slightly gritty tone in spades.
    Just set the gain to about 1/3 and open the volume up wide (quite a loud pedal).
    Lovepedal Englishwoman is pretty good too.

Pat Therien likes this.
  7. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Mod Squad Staff Member

Posts or comments not applicable to the OP's question have either been deleted or edited. Please: stop the bickering and stick to the OP's question. If you are inclined to discuss Mr. Claptons non musical life, start your own thread. Otherwise, keep his personal life out of this discussion. And if you do start a Clapton thread, remember there's a rule against Musician Bashing. Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    vintage saddles likes this.
  8. Pat Therien

Pat Therien Member

Thanks for the reply..

I bought a wampler Tweed 57

And im sooo happy with IT !
    IT is spot on what i was looking for

9. Gilwater

Gilwater Member

I hear it sounds really good with a Strat pedal as a booster. LOL

In all seriousness....I hard a demo of the Machine Head Pedals 72 degrees. It did a good Clapton.