• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Eric Clapton: A Tale of Two Tones

7thString

Solo kicks in at 3:36. Supposedly recorded at the peak of his heroin addiction; story goes that years later when listening back to the track with Stephen, Eric said "you were really cooking on that solo" to which Stephen replied "that was you"

blackba

So after many years of owning a les Paul, I finally tried rolling my neck volume back a bit on the both pickups setting and loved it. Great tone. It’s one of those things that’s so simple, but I have never tried it. Been telling all my friends to give it a try.

I also need to give From the cradle another spin, played ridin with the king a lot more than cradle. So how cradle slipped through the cracks for me.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
So after many years of owning a les Paul, I finally tried rolling my neck volume back a bit on the both pickups setting and loved it. Great tone. It’s one of those things that’s so simple, but I have never tried it. Been telling all my friends to give it a try.
I spend a lot of time in the middle position.

Bridge - wide open.
Neck 4 or 5.

BoogieManSC

Silver Supporting Member
So you went to his "Blues Tour" and you were disappointed that he played blues all night? Whose fault was that?

Secondly, if you're a blues fan (seems you're not) all of the songs he played on that tour are HUGE HITS! Not one known hit thrown in? Nothing but hits!
I'm pretty positive it was the "From the Cradle" tour... It was 94 or 95 at MSG...yes, it wasn't thrown out there that the setlist would entirely consist of all blues tunes and not a single Cream-era tune or from his earlier career (the stuff I recognized more)....the guy I went with was a fanatic. I just tagged along... These were the days before the internet, so we (even he) both expected there would be some of his new tunes, mixed with his past catalog as a lot (or most) artists do when they tour. I'm not saying it was awful... I'm just saying when I saw him years later and he did some of the songs most folks know him for (Alibis, Cocaine, Badge, Pretending, Motherless Children, etc) was for me, more enjoyable and less boring.... Not knocking the blues whatsoever... I've seen Bonamassa a few times and love watching him... Even did the meet & greet thing and he was a cool dude. Very friendly... And even HE jammed out some well-known Clapton when I saw him :) God, what was the song? I think he did "Pretending"

BoogieManSC

Silver Supporting Member
it was Andy Fairweather Low on the From the Cradle tour in ‘95, DBII would’ve been with the Thunderbirds back then, before he played with Waters etc.
Thank you, Sir.... There you have it.
Matter of fact, I think when I saw Roger Waters live, he also had DBIII on guitar? Another time he had GE Smith... Or maybe I'm going senile and dreaming it all up. I've seen Floyd & Waters a few times and so many concerts over the years, they all blur together

JPH118

I'm pretty positive it was the "From the Cradle" tour... It was 94 or 95 at MSG...yes, it wasn't thrown out there that the setlist would entirely consist of all blues tunes and not a single Cream-era tune or from his earlier career (the stuff I recognized more)....
Umm, it was, actually... traditional blues album, and a tour of the same material. That’s how it was advertised and marketed. I was at MSG and enjoyed it very much. :D

JPH118

Thank you, Sir.... There you have it.
Matter of fact, I think when I saw Roger Waters live, he also had DBIII on guitar? Another time he had GE Smith... Or maybe I'm going senile and dreaming it all up. I've seen Floyd & Waters a few times and so many concerts over the years, they all blur together
you may have seen both of those gents with Waters, in fact.

BoogieManSC

Silver Supporting Member
Umm, it was, actually... traditional blues album, and a tour of the same material. That’s how it was advertised and marketed. I was at MSG and enjoyed it very much. :D
YOU WIN!
I must have missed reading the press releases or setlists... Like I said, I just tagged along for the show with a bud who was a Clapton fanatic. In fact, he was bummed that I wasn't as "into it", lol....one of the things I miss the most after moving from NY, is I used to have a connection at MSG...he was a 65-75 year old guy that worked there. He was there EVERY SHOW. Hard working guy! My friend was his landlord. I used to buy any ticket, then show up at the floor, ask for him, slip him some $ and mention my buddy, and he'd bring me onto the floor and tell me to wait. One or 2 songs in after the lights went down, he'd flag me (and guest) with his flashlight, and he'd LITERALLY stick us within the 1st 5 rows EVERY TIME. I'd get to see SO many shows at MSG from the 1st few rows, The Who, Clapton, Roger Waters, Pearl Jam, Paul McCartney... Too many to count. I'm sure he's probably passed on by now... This was in the 90's to about 2008. Miss those shows

MadFrank

Gold Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
I’ve so been really impressed with the Peach demos lately. Jack is a really inspirational player and he knows how to dial a rig or pedal in.

I don’t know if he’s going to challenge Chappers and the crew quite yet though. I prefer his playing, but he doesn’t have the charm and bonhomie that you get with Chappers and Pete. IMO. I watch both.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
F me that’s a sweet vid! Never saw that one. Lots of cool nuggets in there. I love how EC goes through like 20 settings on the guitar in 2 min.

“I might have to turn up... you guys won’t like this...” :roll
his Brownie and Martin clips done at the same time (they were all part of Crossroads associated tribute guitars they did a few years ago) were also really cool and informative

davidespinosa

Silver Supporting Member
I've only heard two good solos after Layla.
One is Further on Up the Road on the Last Waltz.
The other is this version of Crossroads.
The mid boost on the Clapton strat completely ruined his tone, but the phrasing on this video makes up for it.
BUT he learned to sing, which is more than you can say for a lot of guitarists !

NatGardner

Dude most club guys don’t even want to play those tunes anymore, why would Eric?
I understand that. Most players understand that, but our wives thought they were going to an Eric Clapton concert and held $80 ticket stubs in their hands and expected to hear at least a few songs they recognized. All I am saying is a balance of the current CD and his past catalog would may have satisfied the average fans more. I was bored before intermission and I went there to see the es 335 and bluesbreaker Clapton.

Trending Topics