• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Eric Clapton plays Fusion~w/Macus Miller, Dave Sanborn, Steve Gadd & Joe Sample!

bloomz

no,the band played fusion, Eric played Eric

Eric has this little lick going on in EVERY bloody song since he was six, maybe I should learn it so I could explain it better to yaz.......

Eric, NO! stop it now
I made it thru half of the solo

Limited vocabulary. How little he's improved in the last 30 years or so.....Stevie Ray grew his chops more in his last year of life than that.

SoulCharter

I made it thru half of the solo

Limited vocabulary. How little he's improved in the last 30 years or so.....Stevie Ray grew his chops more in his last year of life than that.

LOL. EC didn't buy his last ferrari or his Luxury Motor Yacht honing his chops! Thats the last thing he cares about. The Man writes songs. Better then any jazz fusion player I've ever heard. Just saying......He's got a rocknRoll heart. :bow

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
Wishing Sanborn would have thrown down the chicken dance. Bummer.

I have not listened to that Tempest song in a long time. Great stuff!

Defendant

"Polite ... running out of positives" ...

How so very strange ... Are you hoping for angst in the music ...?
Kinda-a don't get what you mean ....
or maybe just not wanting to believe what you're saying ... not sure..lol
Haha, we've been through this before, I'm sure. I like a bit of grit to my music, whether it's fusion or funk or jazz or whatever. To me, apart from EC's cameo, there's nothing to that song other than very well played happy jazz slickness. Makes me feel like I'm in a waiting room.

John Thigpen

Silver Supporting Member
I finally listened to this, expecting to hear some hack solo from someone "out of his element". I thought it sounded pretty good! Yes, it was bluesy rather than jazzy, but well played with some good ideas in it. He sounded like Eric Clapton.

pennylink

Does anybody else wish Clapton had pulled out his 335 instead for this gig?

I love Gadd, Miller and Sample, but never cared for Sanborn's sax tone personally...

GerryJ

Since it was a one-off many years ago (1997 ) it was likely a novelty thing for EC and a way to boost ticket sales for the others and promoter.

Average Joe

I think he did some of it very well. Full House from the same show for instance - it's not jazz but he play some good stuff over it

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Gold Supporting Member
That didn't work for me but who cares what I think. He's EC - he's famous, rich and has an illustrious career.

DRS

I think he did some of it very well. Full House from the same show for instance - it's not jazz but he play some good stuff over it
And some would argue no matter who was on guitar, David Sandborn, Marcus Miller, and Steve Gad is not jazz. If they didn't record with Blue Note in the late 50s/early 60s, it ain't jazz.:bonk

I have the entire show on DVD and Snakes was -at least to my ears- one of Eric's better solos, but compared to the ones that bookended it, his limited vocabulary was still starkly apparent. Sample and Sanborn also used blues licks, pentatonics and repetition, but they also used dorian and chromatics too. Sample actually reharmonized and played subs on the fly! Oh...then there were actual melodies improvised. EC's solo was basically a blues explosion that kinda went nowhere. I appreciate that EC has an identifiable sound, problem was his sound wasn't the best fit there.

I agree that Full House came off a lot better. The blues licks played on some of the others were cringe-inducing....and I'm a huge EC fan!

Maybe he thought about his approach before hand and during rehearsal and thought **** it, Im Eric Clapton, maybe I'll just splash some of that around.
:rotflmao
Doubtless, that was what made it the big draw! That's not a commentary on the talents of the others.

buddyboy69

i just listened to the whole concert. i thought it was great. those guys are studio cats and can play anything. i think clapton just hooked up with a great band. sure he played his blues licks and got lost a few times trying to play the head with sanborn, but he stepped it up if you asked me. i thought some of his solos went beyond what i usually hear out of him. they played a few of his songs, a few blues, some marcus tunes, etc... i dont think they were going for jazz. this is what fusion is. now sanborn, who i have liked since the 80s is wearing a little thin on me, but thats just me.

Baminated

Case in point, after EC's solo, Joe Sample just burns and demonstrates the type of sensibility that fit the music (to my ears).

Not a slag on EC, just wished it was a bluesy fusion player who could stand toe to toe with these monsters, on THIS MATERIAL.
Noted, however, the masses of Joe & Betty Beer Cans from Mayberry are going to check the show (live or recorded) because of EC. Without EC, then the chances of them getting to hear Joe Sample and the other monsters on stage greatly diminishes.

So, from a business standpoint AND artistic stanpoint, the sacrifice of EC on stage in lieu of a bluesion monster like Henderson or Ford, allows all of the other band members to be heard by people who would not normally hear them

scottl

I concur 1000%

However, being a member of the .000001% of the population that likes the bluesion monsters, and is also a lifelong fan of Sample, Gadd, Miller, Sanborn et al, I can safely say EC did not bring them to me.

It was nice, but I have no desire to ever listen to it again, nor did it have any EC solo moments that made my eyebrows go up.

Noted, however, the masses of Joe & Betty Beer Cans from Mayberry are going to check the show (live or recorded) because of EC. Without EC, then the chances of them getting to hear Joe Sample and the other monsters on stage greatly diminishes.

So, from a business standpoint AND artistic stanpoint, the sacrifice of EC on stage in lieu of a bluesion monster like Henderson or Ford, allows all of the other band members to be heard by people who would not normally hear them

Robertito

Interesting, but a few quick observations: I don't think it's "Snakes," unless it has been totally rearranged. This is "Snakes:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-rlwokfcZQ

Also, I don't hear a "clean" tone there, just a soupy overdriven sound turned down. And I only heard unison playing on the bridge, mainly with Marcus; the main melody is in harmony.

Carltone

I took the day off last year to get some repairs done on the house. I had a heating and cooling guy come out to look at the furnace. I just happened to have this dvd playing and was watching it for the first time... I thought it was "just ok" and was about to pop it out when the heating repair guy comes into the room and comments...
"Man, Clapton is just the best ever... who else could play that good?" and he sat mesmerized and watched about 5 minutes with me. Clapton did nothing of note in that particular song and most of it was featured around Sanborn.
I asked him if he was a player, too... and he said no. He went on for a few more minutes about Clapton and seemed to be a really nice guy, so I did not bust his bubble about how I felt. I never finished watching the whole concert and I love Clapton. He just does not have the feel to play more than 2 songs with those guys on that material.

dB

I liked it. I actually liked that EC doesn't try to do the typical faux jazz licks most players would play.
I agree. I don't listen to much fusion, but man...that song was incredibly dull and repetitive. Marginally more interesting and slightly more imaginative than Muzac. Maybe Clapton was just bored?

Trending Topics