Eric Clapton Strat Neck Size vs. Gibson Les Paul/ES-335 Neck

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RocknPop, Feb 24, 2012.

1. RocknPop

RocknPop Supporting Member

Hey guys,

I am trying to get a guitar with a larger neck than my Gibson Les Paul's '60s slim-tapered neck. I am considering the Eric Clapton strat with a V-neck. Would I notice a difference in the size of the frets? I'm looking for larger frets. Thoughts?

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

well the EC Strat has vintage sized frets, so they are narrow. you'll probably like the 9.5 neck radius and the chunkier v-neck carve, but if skinny frets are a dealbreaker, you may not be happy.

3. RocknPop

Does the '93 EC have the chunkier neck?

4. Jahn

i don't think they ever changed the neck carve on the american signature series line for the Clapton Strats, so yes the '93 should be chunky, with that "soft V" carve patterned after an acoustic Martin.

5. RocknPop

So that is definitely larger than the Les Paul, right?

6. Jahn

hmm, well it's not close to as chunky as my R8, but that's a baseball bat. every les paul neck is different, but i'd say it's a strat neck that is going to get as close to a les paulish chunk as you're going to get, kinda. really have to try it out. not sure where a 60's gibson carve is going to put you, but i do think my EC Strat has a beefier carve than a '69 ES-345 i had.

FENDER:

[​IMG]

http://api.ning.com/files/EKCQowTIi...*nLFxCk99TK4kHZwr7gRTG/guitarneckprofiles.jpg

GIBSON:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/27259-diagram-of-50s-vs-60s-neck-profile/

[​IMG]

Here's some info collected from various sources (some from MLP) -

A comparison based on some measurements - . . . . . . . (Of course everything varies a bit with Gibbies)
    Neck Thickness - (avg, meaurements taken at nut end of 1st fret)
    R8 - - - - - - - - - - .925"
    R7 - - - - - - - - - - .920"
    R9 - - - - - - - - - - .910"
    50s Early - - - - - .900" (from Gibson C/S)
    50s Rounded - - .870" (from my 2008 SG)
    50s Rounded - - .818" (from Gibson C/S)
    Asymmetrical - - N/A
    30/60 - - - - - - -- .800"
    60s Slim taper - .765"

- 30/60 is .030 of an inch thicker from front to back then the 60s slim, all the way up the neck.

50s Early 1st fret - - -- .900” 12th fret – 1.00”
    50s Rounded 1st fret - .818” 12th fret - .963”

7. /13guitarman

/13guitarman Member

If you are looking for larger frets and a heftier neck you should be looking for a Tele. The frets on the EC are small and thin. The neck is also small.

I don't like the 60's slim neck , but really like the gibson 50's round neck. I have a EC strat and the neck is far from both of those. You really need to try the guitars.

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Yes. As Jahn so clearly illustrated, it's a very comfortable full medium soft V. Not huge, but a bit more hand filling than what I'd call medium, and definitely fuller than a Gibson slim 60's LP profile.

9. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I consider the EC neck to be on the slim side, medium at most. The shape leaves less shoulder than a C profile, but otherwise I think it's pretty similar to a modern C in thickness. It doesn't taper up enough from the 1st to 12th fret for my taste, but neither does the Gibson 60s slim taper. I suspect that Clapton went from the 60 LP and early SGs with slim to medium necks, through the 56 Brownie and a chunkier neck, and then back to a slimmer profile with the soft V of Blackie that the EC sigs generally try to replicate.

If you want a larger neck in a standard production Strat, then look at the EJ or 62 HR (the latter is too big for my taste). The CS 56 RI neck is just about my favorite overall. If you like the EC profile but want larger frets and a slightly wider nut, then look into the American Deluxe V neck Strat.

10. RocknPop

Thanks guys, I bought a Fender Strat Deluxe... getting used to the neck. Surprisingly it's very similar to the 60s slim on my LP Classic.

11. Dashface

Dashface Member

I dunno... In my experience, the neck carve is quite different between the earlier Claptons and the more recent ones, with the recent ones having significantly less "V". I've played quite a few early ones (and own an '89), and the necks are quite big - but they don't feel big because of the carve. They just feel comfy :D

12. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

Agreed, the Clapton neck isn't huge, but it is a nice handful. I have a couple Warmoth boatnecks, which are bigger than the Clapton. While I like bigger necks, I find the Clapton contour more comfortable in the long run.
    The vintage frets were a deal breaker for me for a long time. Eventually I came across a deal I just couldn't pass up, and the finish I wanted, too (pewter) so I caved in.
    Boy, am I glad I did! The flatter 9.5 radius totally negated any misgivings I had for the vintage frets.