Eric Clapton's Latest Rig Rundown by John Bollinger

Joelish74

I wouldn't trust a single thing I read in the media about Eric Clapton from here on out. I know enough already, he's not my favorite, the funny thing is the more they smear him the more kind my opinion becomes.
I'm just waiting for them to insinuate that he's responsible for his son or SRV's death. I'm surprised they haven't already sank that low.

Joelish74

I don't really care about all the drama surrounding whatever Clapton said or currently says. He has been an idiot his whole life. Idiots say stupid stuff. Watch the early videos from the 60's on how he "invented the Woman tone". He has only gone downhill since.

Regarding the rig rundown, I would only watch it to learn what NOT to use, as Clapton's tone has sucked since around 1970. It almost seems he goes out of his way to seek a lifeless, zero sustain tone from his guitars and amps.
Man, dude, some people REALLY, REALLY care about vaccines. I dont believe that rant was about EC as a musician one bit.

Joelish74

Haterz hate when they are bombarded with negative news about something. People are lemmings. It's how the business model works.

He has done nothing this year to spin a positive narrative. His choice. But clearly he is not concerned with preserving a positive legacy and is content with all the negative.
Maybe it's a bit disorienting to see people acting like something out of a dystopian sci fi if you've never experienced it before. Maybe any PR person in their right mind would tell you not to respond to the negativity, a sort of miranda rights are in effect. Any response will be used against you.

frijoleghost

Silver Supporting Member
I'm sorry you let the media manipulate you like that. That is a buzzkill indeed.
"the media", huh...that's weird, cause i only watch the pro-COVID-19 channel...
actually, decades of increasingly rote and uninspired guitar playing dulled my buzz considerably before his anti-science caterwauling killed it double dead...can't wait for his new album though, entitled, "OUCH! WAAAHHH!"

aldridt11

Silver Supporting Member
How can Clapton have said that about EVH and May when he sings about getting off on screamin guitars.....?

Terrarich

Silver Supporting Member
Really hits how a few generations of Burst adulation were based on Clapton's use of them, but he went to a Strat for most of his career.

Joelish74

"the media", huh...that's weird, cause i only watch the pro-COVID-19 channel...
actually, decades of increasingly rote and uninspired guitar playing dulled my buzz considerably before his anti-science caterwauling killed it double dead...can't wait for his new album though, entitled, "OUCH! WAAAHHH!"
My opinion of him today is no different than it was 5 years ago, that's all I'm saying. Not my favorite player or anything but I dont find his Covid statements the slightest bit controversial. The rigid way people are acting about Covid and the attempts to silence and smear are much more disturbing.

jsboswell

Silver Supporting Member
Funny, I swear I thought this was a thread about Clapton's recent rig rundown. Guess this one is queued up to be the latest casualty. Also, I've started noticing a correlation between low post counts and COVID-related thread derailments. Do you guys just come here get into pissing contests over a virus in a thread that's clearly about gear?

corbs

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure why I popped into this thread as I don't really care about EC, but this was one heck of a toilet break derailment read by the end.

Good job folks!

frijoleghost

Silver Supporting Member
i came to the gear page and learned that 5 million people have died of a "common cold" in the last year and a half

Funk King

Silver Supporting Member
Brilliant guitarist influences generations of players with his approach to blues style soloing …

Cranky old anti-science jerk insists his ignorance is truth.

Same guy in both cases. Not wrong to adore and admire him, not wrong to be disappointed in his ignorance.

i quote a great man, “Shut Up and Play Your Guitar!”

Hoodster

(Warning: this post is not about Clapton's rig. It does seem relevant to the covid-related tangents this thread took. Please skip if not interested in that.)

Today at 8:53 a.m. EST

Robert Cray was stunned when he first heard “Stand and Deliver.” Eric Clapton, his onetime musical hero, who became a mentor and friend, had released his first protest song in 56 years of recording. Only it wasn’t about George Floyd or global warming. Clapton’s midtempo shuffle, a collaboration with Van Morrison released in December, went full anti-lockdown, taking aim at the government for trying to control a global pandemic by temporarily shuttering restaurants, gyms and concert halls.

What grabbed Cray’s attention was the second verse.

Do you wanna be a free man
Or do you wanna be a slave?
Do you wanna be a free man
Or do you wanna be a slave?
Do you wanna wear these chains
Until you’re lying in the grave?

Cray — one of the great blues guitarists of his generation, a five-time Grammy winner and Black man born in segregated Georgia — emailed Clapton immediately. Was the 76-year-old guitar great comfortable singing Morrison’s words, which compared the lockdown to slavery?

“His reaction back to me was that he was referring to slaves from, you know, England from way back,” Cray says.

That didn’t satisfy Cray. Neither did their next email exchange. Then Cray stopped replying altogether. The next time he wrote was weeks later to politely inform Clapton that he couldn’t, in good conscience, open for him as planned on an upcoming tour.

After that, Cray watched as Clapton released two more lockdown songs, conducted a lengthy interview with vaccine skeptics, and pledged to perform only where fans would not be required to be vaccinated, or, as Clapton said in a statement, not “where there is a discriminated audience present.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2021/11/11/eric-clapton-vaccine-lockdown/

Trending Topics

Top Bottom